Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #201 
RedRaz

Also the IAL will be here by Friday! An awesome seller that I bought plants from online is having it sent for free. :) Now when I get that I should rinse them well and put the whole leaf depending on size in his tank? I never worked with this before and am trying to read up on IAL now. I thought I would ask you all first. :)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #202 
Oldfishlady

Since tannins are a natural product you can't overdose them. When I have a really stressed fish-I like to make the water as dark as possible-so dark I can barely see the fish....

I don't rinse mine-I crush and add to both the QT I have the fish and in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water so they can start to steep..

The longer they steep-the more tannins released-the darker the water-the more the Betta will like it. I don't worry about the leaf bits in the water and the Betta often will pick at the microorganisms that form as well as use the leaf bits to feel more secure.

Tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, help ease stress, toughen fins/scales to name a few good things about them.
Remembering that water temps greater than 110F will kill the antibacterial/fungal properties.

Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #203 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Since tannins are a natural product you can't overdose them. When I have a really stressed fish-I like to make the water as dark as possible-so dark I can barely see the fish....

I don't rinse mine-I crush and add to both the QT I have the fish and in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water so they can start to steep..

The longer they steep-the more tannins released-the darker the water-the more the Betta will like it. I don't worry about the leaf bits in the water and the Betta often will pick at the microorganisms that form as well as use the leaf bits to feel more secure.

Tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties, help ease stress, toughen fins/scales to name a few good things about them.
Remembering that water temps greater than 110F will kill the antibacterial/fungal properties.

Keep us posted....
The AQ salt water would be okay with the IAL? His temp in the tank is 78 degrees right now. Is that okay?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #204 
Oldfishlady

Yes, it is fine to use them together and your temp is fine too....
Keep us posted....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:11 AM   #205 
sunlight

well he looked really bad yesterday and looks better today i would think whatever you did yesterday is right so i would continue to do it to make sure we get rid of the flukes. And aq salt with flukes you can use up to 13 days. You need to be sure to get rid of them so they do't eat him.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #206 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Yes, it is fine to use them together and your temp is fine too....
Keep us posted....
Thank you! As soon as I get the IAL leaves I will add them. I'm hoping he pulls through. Raz my little fighter. He is swimming a lot more and very responsive. Should I try adding him to his tank (1 gal)? Right now he is in his cup and I'm floating the cup.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #207 
sunlight

Not sure but i don't see why not. I think 1 gall is fine. I always afraid that the cups are small and he can jump out. And you can lower the water in his hospital tank. Well can you keep his temperature stable in 1 gall? I know you floating his cup in 10 gall
Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #208 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Not sure but i don't see why not. I think 1 gall is fine. I always afraid that the cups are small and he can jump out. And you can lower the water in his hospital tank. Well can you keep his temperature stable in 1 gall? I know you floating his cup in 10 gall
I think he will be okay in the 1 gal hospital tank and seems quite annoyed he is in his cup. He never liked that thing. I don't blame him either. I have the temp finally at a stable steady regulation now. Seems to work better with him too before I put him in cup that is. I guess I can try and just keep his cup near by if any problems. If I lower the water though in his tank I don't believe I could regulate the heat because it's a big heater and needs a certain water level to work.

I am floating him in his cup in his 1 gal hospital tank. I never set up the ten gal. His 2.5 gal is being cleaning out right now.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #209 
sunlight

It better to keep him where you can keep stable temperature.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #210 
RedRaz

His cup then. Should I add new water to his cup then? Or at least the water from his tank. Since he was never in the tank when I put new AQ aged water yesterday. Might rid some of the flukes in his cup? Ya think that is a good idea?