Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #1 
crowntaillove

Help me save Hank?

Here is the first thread I posted about poor Hank.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115413

I've been treating him with maroxy due to the fact that I thought I found 2 cottony fluffs on his fins, and one on the very tip of where his dorsal meets his body. He was doing good, he unclamped and started eating. I thought we were out of the woods. I put him back in his 10 gallon (of course after a water change) to continue treatment by himself to try to perk him up with more swimming space, but it didn't work like I hoped. Two days after I tried that, he's back to not eating and being very lethargic, hanging out at the top of the water. He's back in his half gallon now.

The newest symptoms I have to offer are what I believe to be white floating poop, a mess of fluffy gunk thats all over the bottom of the tank, and possibly a bulge on his side.

Here is the possible bulge, or it might be normal and I'm just being overly paranoid.

I actually found 2 strands of these, but I sucked one out before I thought about taking a picture. The other one was a lot longer and more curled like a spiral.

I cant' get a good picture of the gunk, but hopefully this will give you an idea.

Its clumps of just...nasty.

Can anyone please give me an idea of whats going on and how to treat my little guy?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 AM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

I read your earlier post, and it sounds like he did/does have a swim bladder issue. Here is an informative article: http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/swim-bladder-disorder/

The bulge is another symptom of this, as bumps by the fish's tail area may occur with SBD.

What have you been feeding the little guy?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 AM   #3 
Aus

That white stringy poop says 'gut parasites' to me. He'll be getting run down from that and picking up every other illness under the sun. Get rid of those, and see how he does, if he's still getting residual infections try a broad spectrum antibiotic to clear those up, but wait a week between treatments.

My bet is, he picks right up after being treated for parasites.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #4 
crowntaillove

He's had a slight bulge since I first brought him home. I always thought it was normal though. I feed him omega one flakes 2 times a day. When he first got sick, he went 4 days without eating, then ate normal for 2 days, now he's back to day 2 of no eating.

What do you recommend I use for parasite treatment?
Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
He's had a slight bulge since I first brought him home. I always thought it was normal though. I feed him omega one flakes 2 times a day. When he first got sick, he went 4 days without eating, then ate normal for 2 days, now he's back to day 2 of no eating.

What do you recommend I use for parasite treatment?
I just ask because swim bladder can be caused by too much food but your routine sounds good.

Look for an internal parasite medication to treat him with and see if that makes the white poo cease. I have heard that epsom salt works well for internal stuff, too. So maybe try both?

Hope he gets better!! Keep us posted!
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #6 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
I just ask because swim bladder can be caused by too much food but your routine sounds good.

Look for an internal parasite medication to treat him with and see if that makes the white poo cease. I have heard that epsom salt works well for internal stuff, too. So maybe try both?

Hope he gets better!! Keep us posted!
I'm still convinced it has something to do with fungus. The white poop, if thats what it is, does scream parasites though. I put him in new water with maroxy, but there is A LOT of what looks like slimy white semi see through cotton balls and some spots of more solid color white on his fins. I'm about to change his water again. I don't have epsom salts at the moment, what is the difference between that and Aquarium salt? Should I continue the maroxy?

I don't have a heater that is small enough for his tank right now, so I'm floating his hospital tank in his old 10 gallon that is currently unoccupied. I'm doing this because I think it's helping him to be closer to the surface, and I can't do that in his 10 gallon while still keeping the heater submerged. Should I raise the tempature in the tank? If so, to what?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #7 
crowntaillove

I just thought of one more question. Can I treat him for parasites and fungus at the same time, or should I hold off on the fungus treatment until the parasites have been addressed? Poor little man, he seems so miserable. :[
Old 10-04-2012, 12:42 AM   #8 
crowntaillove

OH MY GOD... he's going belly up. I can't stand to watch him die...

I'm so sorry Hank. I wish I would have known sooner how to save you.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #9 
sainthogan

:(
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #10 
Gracie8890

Im so sorry crowntaillove, im sure hank was a wonderful companion i send my hugs
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote