Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #1 
bettasaur

Random fin tears? :(

long tail betta are a troublesome bunch with tail damage.

I found this quote in another thread....

Ok, I'm relieved to hear that other people have random problems with long tail bettas. I have a male betta that's either a delta or a half moon. The LFS that I bought him at told me he was a half moon. Anyway, I went out of town over the weekend & when I came back, his fins were all torn up. :( How do you treat your betta's torn fins? I don't see any kind of black spots, so I don't think it's fin rot. His color looks a little bit less vibrant, but that could be because he's under a different kind of light. He has an incandescent light in his tank now as opposed to the LEDs he had in his 3gallon. Help! :(

Last edited by bettasaur; 10-02-2012 at 06:56 PM.
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #2 
RabidAliver

It looks like he might be tailbiting with how clean the damage is in between the rays. Sadly, there's no medicine that can help, but it's either because his fins are heavy (common with long-finned bettas such as Delta, Halfmoon, and veiltails) or because he is bored. I would say try to keep him preoccupied by possibly adding more decorations/rearranging the already present decorations in his tank to give him a chance to explore, or by holding a mirror up to his tank and allowing him to flare at it for a few minutes. He may or may not grow out of it, though, it seems like tailbiting is a somewhat common problem with halfmoon and other heavily-finned betta owners ):
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #3 
bettasaur

Great. :( I've seen him spin around at his tail a few times, but I've never seen him bite it. I just moved him into a 10g and it's pretty bare right now. He does have a coffee cup in there to hide in. I'll go to my LFS and get some more live plants & stuff tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/Como-Diameter-...supplies_img_z

I ordered one of these today, and if he likes them, I'll get some more in other colors. :)
bettasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #4 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettasaur View Post
Great. :( I've seen him spin around at his tail a few times, but I've never seen him bite it. I just moved him into a 10g and it's pretty bare right now. He does have a coffee cup in there to hide in. I'll go to my LFS and get some more live plants & stuff tomorrow.

http://www.amazon.com/Como-Diameter-...supplies_img_z

I ordered one of these today, and if he likes them, I'll get some more in other colors. :)
Those will look nice :D I bet it may just be a bit of boredom. Be sure to get him some nice little caves to explore/hide in too, I'm sure he'd like those!
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote