Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #31 
LadyVictorian

Did you tell her those cups are soooooo not good for betta? I hope you did and schooled her. My mom said something rather stupid. She said I should stop spending MY money on MY fish to give them better happier homes and then said. "I know you are just doing what is best for them but those fish can live in those small bowls and they are much cheaper." I then told her she can just not feed her dogs for a month and it's the same level of abuse.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #32 
laynisample

I did try to tell her that, but my mom and I do not have a good relationship. She is an extremely cheap woman and does not care about the wellbeing of her animals. When I lived with her I had to sneak her dog that she loved to the vet to get it treated for hookworms. Unfortunately I was too young that the shelter wouldn't allow me to give it to them.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #33 
whiskandbowl

Ugh it's so ridiculous how misinformed people are (I admit, I used to be to)
The directions on the AquaBlock say to clean when it looks dirty....yikes.

I got in an arguement with my mom because she wants a fish for her work desk. A goldfish....in a bowl.... even after explaining why that's a bad idea, I got "It's just a fish, they cost 0.25, if it dies I'll just get another one" and "Your goldfish (that I had as a kid), did fine in a bowl! Lived for 2 years!"
Now she wants my rescue betta. No way is she getting him unless she buys an appropriate tank and heater and reads all the care sheets here.
whiskandbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #34 
Aus

I wish I could be a 'fairy fish-mother' to all you kids with extremely pet-ignorant parents... sprinkle a little bit of sparkly 'get-a-clue' dust around the house, etc.

My suggestion?

Get them an african sundew plant. Tell them it's rare and is the only plant in the world with a nervous system (which is .. an exaggeration but oh well.. ). Show them how it cleverly catches things and likes a lot of water, and is real pretty in the sunlight with all its sparkly ruby-coloured dew.

"Fish? Fish are like, so... 1970's. And not in a good way. But hey, I hear the latest thing in office buddies is these really smart plants.. "

Cause a plant will probably last a bit longer, eh.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #35 
EllaFish

GAAHHH!!!!!
GAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

I can forgive the "great for office" and "nifty little thing" people, they're just dumb. But that stuck up "breeder" and "Caroline"...
GAHHHHH!!!!

Okay, when we misspell "Betta", it's cuz we're typing as fast as we canto get thoe thoughts out cuz were' soooooo angry!!!!!

Also, (no offense breeders, if you've read a single word here then you're breeding fish right) Breeders tend to be wackos!! they have really weird ideas about Betta care!! of course there's lots of ways to breed Bettas, but some people are just mean!!!
EllaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #36 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I hate it when people say thy are breeders and give bad advice like bowl myths most are likely faking. Most of the terrible adcive and pretending happens in offices. If I ever work in a office juniper bonsai, lucky bamboo, or sundew I have a spoon leaved. sundew and juniper bonsai and many more.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #37 
LadyVictorian

I really hate ignorant parents who just say "it's only a fish." because honestly if that is your outlook on life you shouldn't be a parent or own any animal, not even fake plants. If you consider it only a fish then it's only a baby LET HIM STARVE TOO. There should be a law if doing it to a child would get you tossed into prison then you shouldn't do it to animals either. Like people who keep dogs locked in their basement and feed them once a week and let them live in their own poo. If you did that to a child you would never see the light of day, if you do it to a dog so long as it's given food and water to survive yet still lives in misery then it's totally okay. America...that's all you really need to say, that alone is an insult.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
I really hate ignorant parents who just say "it's only a fish." because honestly if that is your outlook on life you shouldn't be a parent or own any animal, not even fake plants. If you consider it only a fish then it's only a baby LET HIM STARVE TOO. There should be a law if doing it to a child would get you tossed into prison then you shouldn't do it to animals either. Like people who keep dogs locked in their basement and feed them once a week and let them live in their own poo. If you did that to a child you would never see the light of day, if you do it to a dog so long as it's given food and water to survive yet still lives in misery then it's totally okay. America...that's all you really need to say, that alone is an insult.
The cage thing qualifies as animal abuse I heard about a child who was abused caged and walked half a mile in snow to the police station the parents did more it Watson opera.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #39 
LadyVictorian

I wish that were true that the cage applies as animal abuse but I had a neighbor who's dogs lives outside chained to a fence with rotten wooden homes and dirty water, a bag of moldy dog food and the cops said so long as they provided some sort of shelter, food, and water then it wasn't an issue to keep the dogs like that. Both dogs eventually starved to death and no one did anything about it. Once he got his second set of dogs I cut the leashes and lured them to my house. After 24 hours we took them to the shelter as strays to prevent them from suffering the same fate. Same goes for a lot of animals. There is more leway with animal care, if you are basically only giving animals what they need to survive but not thrive then it's not considered animals abuse at all. I mean every single pet store is proof of that. Fish tanks are dirty, fish are thin, rodents are in cages full of poo and animals are always sick or mentally damaged but no one says a thing. My own aunt is proof of it. Her guppies live in a 10 gallon and there are about 50 of them in GREEN WATER...GREEN. It gets cleaned ONLY when a bunch of fish die off and she considers that good because "it keeps the population under control." Despite the fact half her guppies are deformed from poor water quality as fry and most of them belly up before they hit 3 months old. Yet is it considered abuse on any level by the US government and Animal Humane Society? NOPE. If I called the cops on her they would do nothing about it but agree the fish were fine....FINE...in green water? That gets cleaned every three or four months...sure.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #40 
NyaNyanNaa

These are disgusting.

Whoever made those doesn't know JACK about betta fish care and sometimes I just want to slap people like that who say 'tanks' like that are okay.

From my opinion, Betta's need ATLEAST a 3 gallon. No less.

And as one of the reviews said, that plant looks WONDERFUL to rip your Betta's fins.
NyaNyanNaa is offline   Reply With Quote