Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #11 
LadyVictorian

I have a little 5gal with a light filter and a heater set to 78. It's normally very hot in Texas so I don't want the heater on high in case it gets boiling point in my room. I would hate to cook him.

Currently there isn't much in his tank, I am redecorating it to a theme and some of his stuff I deemed not betta safe and removed it like his rock cave. It had a rather sharp part to it. He currently has two silk plants I dug up magically from years ago when I had betta's. They were in my mouse stuff. I guess that is where all the long since passed animal trappings go. Those are not the plants that are staying in his tank though. In the end (today I'm picking some up) I want about three or four silk plants, maybe more IF there is room, two small live plants. Been looking into Java moss, moss balls, and hornwort plants a lot, two to three shrimp (help keep things clean), an Asian temple, small, driftwood or log to hide in, and some log with fake mushrooms on it. There are a few smaller detailed decor I'll be getting as well but for the most part that is my planned out set up. I brought it up in tanks that I am doing a Wonderland theme. Oh and there will be a white glass teacup for a house as well. Granted I can find one small enough to not take up too much tank.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #12 
FlyingFish47

Sounds cute!! :)
FlyingFish47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #13 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish47 View Post
Orange, whe nyou say pellets, what size are we talking? Like sprinkles small, or bigger than that?
Yeah, there actually are a couple different sizes. A lot of pellets are around the same size... I'm not sure how to describe their size, but there are ones smaller than that. And actually, I can only feed one of my bettas the regular sized one. My other male betta and my female betta have to eat the smaller ones because the regular sized ones are too big for their mouths. Those pellets are about half the size as the other ones, so I usually give them twice as many pellets as the regular sized ones.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #14 
FlyingFish47

Okay, thanks! I suppose it just comes down to seeing what they like and will eat. Bit like having a child really :P
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #15 
FlyingFish47

I think a Betta is in my future. I had a dream about a Betta tank in my room last night! Lol... he was bright turquoise...

I think if I do get one though I will go for maybe a 3 or 4 gal tank designed for a betta... this larger 8G is proving to be a bit of a pita to clean and I know they need changes/cleaning more often than other fish... plus I want to be able to see him when I am reading in bed haha
Old 10-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #16 
FlyingFish47

I did it... I got a Betta! He is currently acclimatising to the tank water (I am slowly adding it to his bag that he arrived home in) already he's fluttering his fins and swimming around the bag to see what I am doing. The store I bought him from only had three bettas and they were each in 10G tanks... :)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #17 
FlyingFish47

Oh I should add my housemate came with me after we talked about being co-owners so he will have someone with him when I am away :)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #18 
RedRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish47 View Post
Oh I should add my housemate came with me after we talked about being co-owners so he will have someone with him when I am away :)
Oh Yay! I'm so happy for you! Congrats! Your betta will be so loved. You must post some pics so we can see your beautiful boy. :)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #19 
laynisample

Welcome to betta owning and our little community! Thank you so much for doing research before buying, also that pet store you bought your fish from sounds AWESOME. Live plants are amazing for betta tanks. Each of my tanks have at least two live plants. They help reduce the ammonia levels and my fish love them. They'll swim all through the leaves and they actually fall asleep on some of my plants.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #20 
FlyingFish47

Hi, thanks!!! Yes they had them in with some plants too. Once I manage to get everything stable I think I may try for some plants. I also have four tetras which were meant to be a mild breed but i think they misunderstood me so when I got home I realised they are actually Black Phantoms. Hope they will be compatible! If not I will separate them from the Betta... I've only put the tetras in the tank (after almost 3hrs of acclimatising) and will see how they do in an hour before I put Betta in.... still thinking of a name, need to see his personality first!!!

He might not be as vivid beautiful as the ones I saw in THailand, but out of the three there he was the one that fluttered up to the glass when I was standing there. So, he is the One haha