Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #11 
kevinbacon

I bought API's Quick Start, which is essentially the same as Prime's brand of bottled bacteria. I've read excellent reviews of Tetra's Safe Start though, so if you can afford it, I'd go with that. I opted for API because it was the cheapest name brand option.

You just follow the directions on the side of the bottle and cycle as normal, adding drops of pure ammonia not exceeding 4ppm at any time. That will kill the bacteria you're adding XD Or you can opt for an in fish cycle; its more humane using the added bacteria because your levels never gget very high. Buy a strip or liquid water test kit (liquid is more accurate, but to each his own) and test your water every day. When you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate. For me, this process happened in a matter of days with the API bacteria, but I let it sit a little longer and added some more ammonia to make sure that the bacteria were doing their job (eliminating all ammonia added, in a cycled tank you should always have 0 ammonia).

I think I answered all your questions lol. Let me know if you have any more. I absolutely swear by this stuff now, its the best :)

Last edited by kevinbacon; 10-03-2012 at 08:16 AM.
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #12 
sareena79

I love the decor in your tank, so cute! that tree is really fun where did u get it?...I hope your fish gets to feeling better :( good luck with all that. keep us posted
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #13 
kevinbacon

Thank you for your well wishes, sareena79. I shall be sure to keep you posted on his recovery. He is already doing quite a bit better now that I have him placed in a one gallon qt tank, so fingers crossed!

As for the tree, I actually got it from Petsmart :) You can buy it in the store or online I believe. Yeah, I thought the Asian theme was awesome, since bettas originated in Asia lol :) I also have some bamboo, which is in the corner so you can't really see it. All of my supplies are from Petsmart actually. I love their supplies, but their betta selection is so-so.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 PM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Thanks for the report on Quickstart, KB.

I'm compiling reports on the new breed of bottled bacteria. So far I've gotten positive responses on the use of Safestart, Dr Tim's One-and-Only, (the only two that specifically claim to have autotrophic bacteria) Quickstart, TLC Smartstart, ATM Colony (which I suspect do) and a provisional on Cycle and Stability, which contain heterotrophic bacteria according to Carl Strohmeyer, here: Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle and cycling. Methods for ammonia, nitrite removal.

That's the most comprehensive work on cycling I've found so far, and by a professional aquarist.

Again, thanks for your recommendation and outline.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #15 
kevinbacon

No problem, Hallyx. I'm glad to be of help :) Good luck on your research!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #16 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbacon View Post
Thank you for your well wishes, sareena79. I shall be sure to keep you posted on his recovery. He is already doing quite a bit better now that I have him placed in a one gallon qt tank, so fingers crossed!

As for the tree, I actually got it from Petsmart :) You can buy it in the store or online I believe. Yeah, I thought the Asian theme was awesome, since bettas originated in Asia lol :) I also have some bamboo, which is in the corner so you can't really see it. All of my supplies are from Petsmart actually. I love their supplies, but their betta selection is so-so.
Oh yeah I see the bamboo now, very cute....when I upgrade my tank I was thinking of going with an Asian theme for the same reason, hence the name Sushi for my fish lol but who knows I saw someone on here with a cute yellow submarine that I loved too. guess I will just have to have multiple tanks hahahah yeah right the hubby would kill me (tooooo many other pets!)
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5 gallon, fin rot, ich, kevin bacon, tank