Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #11 
BabyBetta0108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
You can get a stable cycle on any size tank if you make sure you have lots of foam in and/or around your filter for the bacteria to colonize. A sponge filter is good for this.

I run bare-bottom tanks. Not as attractive as substrate but a lot easier to keep clean. I tie Anubias and Java fern to rocks and beads. Decorative rocks are OK but the debris piles up around the base of the rocks. You can float Anubias and Wisteria for topcover and shade. They make fine Betta hammocks and hangouts, too.
I have a sponge filter running in my tank right now, do you think I need some more foam in my tank? I have a few anubias in my tank right now, but I am planning to get a few more plants. Are Java ferns really hardy? I would feel bad if I kill the Java fern
BabyBetta0108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBetta0108 View Post
I have a sponge filter running in my tank right now, do you think I need some more foam in my tank? I have a few anubias in my tank right now, but I am planning to get a few more plants. Are Java ferns really hardy? I would feel bad if I kill the Java fern
Any sponge filter I've seen has enough foam for a stable bacteria colony.

They say Java ferns are hardy, but mine died while and after budding off some litle baby ferns. I still have those. They haven't grown much. most people have better luck, I think.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 gallon, fish in cycling, high ammonia