Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #1 
latriana465

Please help with severe Betta constipation

I have had my Betta for two years now and everything has been normal. She lives in a 5 gal tank and the water temperature is 78 degrees. I clean the tank once a week with a 25% water change.

Last Tuesday I noticed during my weekly clean that she had a lump on her side and that all she was doing was swimming to the top of her fish tank to rest on the Betta Leaf from Petsmart or swimming to the bottom and resting on her side. She wanted to eat her dinner but couldn't. I fasted her until Saturday and gave her a pea and she wouldn't eat it. I tried again on Sunday and she ate a tiny bite. Then yesterday she wouldn't come near the pea. She hasn't relieved herself in a week and she keeps getting more bloated. Please can anyone help me with this?
latriana465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

peas arent reccomended for bettas, sorry your betta isnt doing well!

It might be SBD(swim bladder disease) or could be lypmphotis(i thinks thats how you spell it?). Try fasting for a couple of days.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #3 
latriana465

How do I get rid of SBD? I have already fasted her for a few days now but there is not change.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 AM   #4 
LizzyP

If she's constipated I would put her in a small QT (1 gallon or so) tank with epsom salt. Unscented and no color is best and can be found at Walmart and all drug stores. Start out with 2 tsps per gallon and make sure it's fully dissolved before adding your girl. Acclimate very slowly to get her adjusted to her new water.

If it's SBD, I don't really know how to treat it. Never had to, sorry. :/
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #5 
latriana465

Okay thanks! I will try that tonight.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 
Irishdancer

I had a fish who nearly died of constipation/SBD this Summer. I treated it with Epsom salt, raising the water temperature, and fasting for about a week. It took quite a while for him to be back to normal, but he did eventually make a full recovery.

SBD is usually the result of either overfeeding or parasites. None of my fish have ever had parasites, so I don't know much about treating it, except that you'd need to buy medication. But this does sound more like constipation to me.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote