Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #1 
NormaCarts

Newbie Help

Hello All!!!

I am sure you read so many posts if this nature and sit there rolling your eyes so apologies if I cause you to do this hehe!!

Now then, I have a 54litre tank it is new and have had it running for a week. It is heated to 80 degrees and remains at a stable temperature.

Firstly my water has gone slightly cloudy but I have read this is normal and it will right itself over time?

I was advised by my local supplier to start with tetra's which after much reading and research, I know is not the best choice.

I always wanted tetra's and a siamese fighter fish as my tank buddies, possibly also a couple of little guppy's (I dont know the actual breed of the ones i have seen so sorry for my ignorance)

So basically, I was going to collect my Betta tonight and leave him on his own for a couple of weeks before adding the tetra's - is this the right thing to do? Or coudl I possibly get a couple of tetra's today also?

Again I am so sorry if I have annoyed anybody I know what it is like when newbie's join a forum you are experienced with - its infuriating!
NormaCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Haha it's ok! I tank needs to run for 4-8 weeks generally before it is fully cycled, or untill ammonia and nitrite are at zero. If you have a low ph and soft water, go for the tetras, but in my experience, try can be quite delicate. What you are telling me is that you are wanting to do a fish in cycle, which requires water changes every other day because if toxic ammonia levels. I would just buy the Betta later and then after that add some dwarf corydoras or a snail or some shrimp. It is better to be under stocked than overstocked. Good luck!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 
NormaCarts

So if i do the water changes every other day it is ok for me to go ahead with my Betta?

What do I add to the new water when I do my water changes before adding it to the tank to replace the water removed? Just a dechlorinator as normal?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #4 
KevinPham123

Hi,

I would recommend to not get any fish until your tank is fully cycled.
KevinPham123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

just add dechlorinator. I think you should REALLLLLYY wait though for the tank to cycle first..
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #6 
NormaCarts

Ok no worries, so around 6-8 weeks in total would you say?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #7 
MyRainbowBettaFish

4 weeks minimum 8 weeks total maximum
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #8 
Laki

I don't think there is anything wrong with fish-in cycle as long as changes are kept up on. And the cycle fish are going to be wanted and kept afterwards. Because of the possibility of poisoning, a lot of people doing a fish-in cycle get a fish they don't necessarily want afterwards (goldfish or some tetras).
I settled my tank and let it run with plants for 3 days before adding my bettas for a fish-in. Granted, my tank is only 5 gallons...
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #9 
NormaCarts

It is so confusing reading so many site's, so many conflicts of opinion, some say a tank needs a fish to cycle properly, by keeping it empty isnt letting it cycle correctly, granted they say to have a hardy fish or 2 to cycle then wait 4-6 weeks before adding your next fish, I think its so hard as every water quality will differ and every filter is different too - its such a risky thing isnt it getting fish as the last thing i want is to harm an animal being a vegetarian animal lover
Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaCarts View Post
It is so confusing reading so many site's, so many conflicts of opinion, some say a tank needs a fish to cycle properly, by keeping it empty isnt letting it cycle correctly, granted they say to have a hardy fish or 2 to cycle then wait 4-6 weeks before adding your next fish, I think its so hard as every water quality will differ and every filter is different too - its such a risky thing isnt it getting fish as the last thing i want is to harm an animal being a vegetarian animal lover

haha yep it is complicated!

Some people on inexpeirenced sites, reccomend do do a fish-in cycle, but it can be dangerous and could hurt poor innocent fish.