Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #31 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
That's a really good point, Choc.

Many breeders of fine show-quality fish also breed fighters. By buying their show fish, you give them the wherewithal to breed more fighters.

Moral conundrum, anyone?
To be 100% honest, we will never know where the money goes. Maybe it goes to producing more show qualities bettas. May be it goes towards fighter fish. Maybe it goes into a vault guarded by a dragon. Who knows. I'm not going to feel guilty or hurt if money given for one thing is used towards something I don't support. I struck that moral connundrum off my list the moment I started paying federal and state taxes.

Since most of my fish are from pet stores or rescues from former owners, I think I am drawn to show bettas by defualt. Not to say I would enter a Petco or Petsmart betta into a betta show, but I'm pretty sure pet stores go more towards show than fighter. I don't tihnk I've ever seen a fighter type in the scale, but I still think I like my show types even if none of my show types are show quality.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #32 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Of those two, I would choose the show betta - simply because I would not want to support someone involved in animal abuse.

Similarly, I would choose a dog from show lines and not from someone who breeds dogs to fight.

Though, if it were not a question of purchase I would opt first to adopt a rescued fighter before I would buy a new animal (puppy or fish).
Couldn't agree more.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #33 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I meant they breed show bettas to pay for the fights they are expensive so they breed fighters for the cultural part and show bettas for the cash most of the time.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #34 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Fish fighting and dog fighi g are different in every way betta fighting is more of a test of courage.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #35 
Mo

As far as I know fighting dogs is not a culture for the majority if a country leading back generations and fighting dogs has not led the the show Bettas we've seen today have we. So no the are not easily compared IMO. I don't support fighting but I rather have a strong healthy fish than an inbred, heavily finned, weak fish. I HATE over branched fish. I know this might spawn and argument but I absolutely have fish with too much branching unless they can actually hold it in full flare. If they are in full flare and don't spread there fins to full potential then all of that finnagge is obviously effecting them
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #36 
VictorP

+100 to mo again.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #37 
tpocicat

I prefer show fish. I breed for show fish, and I personally would never fight my fish. (Or dog or whatever).
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #38 
Mo

Let me specify. I know when I first trout of a show fish I thought of a heavily finned HM. This is not what I would prefer. I would prefer a short finned, strong. Not inbred fish. Whether it be a Show Bred fish or a Fighter fish.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #39 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
As far as I know fighting dogs is not a culture for the majority if a country leading back generations and fighting dogs has not led the the show Bettas we've seen today have we. So no the are not easily compared IMO. I don't support fighting but I rather have a strong healthy fish than an inbred, heavily finned, weak fish. I HATE over branched fish. I know this might spawn and argument but I absolutely have fish with too much branching unless they can actually hold it in full flare. If they are in full flare and don't spread there fins to full potential then all of that finnagge is obviously effecting them
Sorry worded it wrong I was tying to say dog fighting causes extreme pan and is not cultural and betta fighting at most makes small damage to fins and a small scale damage and the goal is too see who is stronger. I like the looks of fighters plus hardiness. When you do inbreeding you get fish like eprphant ear who suffer a lot there whole life.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #40 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I prefer show fish. I breed for show fish, and I personally would never fight my fish. (Or dog or whatever).
Me either I just Ty and respect Siamese culture. I have heard of crueler Japanese fish torture. I am against fighting buying view what the siamese do as courage test.