Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #21 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Is this a bamboo plant...if so, yes, however, I would add a 50% water only mid week along with the 90-100% you are doing-unless the plant is growing really good-Then a 1-2 time weekly 50% would be all that is needed....but it need to be growing really good and you see new growth on the plant at least weekly.

Bamboo, peace lily, ivy and what I like to use-cuttings from my weeping willow tree to root out-can help maintain water quality and use excessive nutrients in the water column to help prevent algae problems-But the key word being..active growth-otherwise they can become part of the water quality problem.
its a Pothos plant, it DOES have active growth b/c I trim the roots pretty heavily atleast once a month so my roots are always growing and I get a new leaf about every 10 days. I rinse my roots really well too with every water change.
sareena79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #22 
sareena79

So, "OFL" do u think Sushi will be ok with one weekly 100% water change in his 2gal unfiltered tank with pothos plant actively growing? I only feed him once a day so theres not a bunch of wasted, decaying food upping the ammonia levels and to compensate for evaporation I add fresh treated water once a week as well.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #23 
Oldfishlady

The active plant growth will use the byproducts produced by the Betta and any left over food as plant food-You may not need to make 100%-I would make 50% twice weekly as long as you have good growth on the plant.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #24 
sareena79

oh wow thats good news, thanks! nothing more annoying than a 100% water change lol. thanks for the info. although knowing me I will probably still do it. but its good to know hes ok with one cleaning a week. Im eventually gonna upgrade to a 5 gal or possibly a 10gal divided tank with a 2nd betta but for now he seems pretty content. he has a light, heater and thermometer, a real plant as well as a fake and 3 kinds of gems/marbles/beads to nose around in (his fav thing to do, besides eat!) so even though its not the biggest house, hes cozy in it I think. He's got crazy long fins (CT) so I almost think he prefers to just hang out in the roots of the pothos anyway. there was a member on here that was making metal-free betta hammocks but I cant find the thread now. I was gonna buy a few from her b/c I think he would enjoy one of those. guess Ima have to hunt that thread down. anyway, THANKS AGAIN for the info :)
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #25 
MaisyDawgThirteen

OFL - I am doing an article for school on bettas and care, do you mind if I include this guide in it?
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #26 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sareena79 View Post
oh wow thats good news, thanks! nothing more annoying than a 100% water change lol. thanks for the info. although knowing me I will probably still do it. but its good to know hes ok with one cleaning a week. Im eventually gonna upgrade to a 5 gal or possibly a 10gal divided tank with a 2nd betta but for now he seems pretty content. he has a light, heater and thermometer, a real plant as well as a fake and 3 kinds of gems/marbles/beads to nose around in (his fav thing to do, besides eat!) so even though its not the biggest house, hes cozy in it I think. He's got crazy long fins (CT) so I almost think he prefers to just hang out in the roots of the pothos anyway. there was a member on here that was making metal-free betta hammocks but I cant find the thread now. I was gonna buy a few from her b/c I think he would enjoy one of those. guess Ima have to hunt that thread down. anyway, THANKS AGAIN for the info :)
mollyjean was making them. ;)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #27 
sareena79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
mollyjean was making them. ;)
yes, thank u, I found the thread :) think ima get a couple from her in the next day or so
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM   #28 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
OFL - I am doing an article for school on bettas and care, do you mind if I include this guide in it?
No problem...use what you need....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #29 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
No problem...use what you need....
Thanks. :)
Old 10-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #30 
brookm

I had a question I have been trying to get my fishes tank cycled and i think I have finally done it. I have java moss and a large anubias in my 5 gal how often should i change the water?? also do i ever clean decor etc in the tank?? my tank is bare bottom can I wipe the bottom of the tank on occasion??
brookm is offline   Reply With Quote