Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #1 
stephanier

best way to sanitize a tank?

Sadly, Azul has passed away . He had some kind of illness so I will need to sanitize the tank and everything in it before getting another betta. I have heard using hot water and vinegar is a good way to go, but I'm not sure if that's true? What's the best way to sanitize the tank so that my new fish will not get sick?
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 
stephanier

wow, people actually used to answer on this forum...now no one ever does...I guess I'll have to go elsewhere for my information
stephanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #3 
toad

Yeah, well most of us work during the day, so...

To answer your question, hot water and vinegar will work fine to clean your tank.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #4 
LittleFish2012

I really wish I could help answer this, but I'm not really sure myself!
I know not to use bleach or any other chemicals...
What I do is scrub really hard with some soap, but rinse it out really REALLY good with scalding hot water. And I make sure there's no chemical smells left over.
Probably not very helpful, but this is what I do and so far it has worked. :/ I think the vinegar idea is better.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #5 
toad

Little Fish, a lot of people do use a diluted bleach solution for cleaning tanks. It makes me uncomfortable, so I stay away from it.

You can also use rubbing alcohol and rinse with hot water :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #6 
LittleFish2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Little Fish, a lot of people do use a diluted bleach solution for cleaning tanks. It makes me uncomfortable, so I stay away from it.

You can also use rubbing alcohol and rinse with hot water :)
Hm. I did not know that.
I guess you really do learn something new every day. :)
I still wouldn't use it though. I agree- makes me uneasy.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #7 
RedRaz

Yeah vinegar and water seems like a good way to sanitize your tank. I also have heard of using sunlight. I did both ways for my tanks. ;)
RedRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #8 
LizzyP

Depends on the kind of tank you have.

With my acrylic tank I used a 1 part bleach 9 parts water ratio, let the tank soak and washed with an aquarium approved sponge (don't use a sponge you get from the grocery store, some say not for aquarium use), rinsed well. Then put it in the dishwasher and ran it twice with no soap. Took the tank out and set it outside. Set it outside for at LEAST 6 hours. Even for a couple days if you can help it. Brought it back inside, twice more in the dishwasher and I was good to go.

With a glass tank, don't put it in the dishwasher. I do believe the bleach method would work though. Just rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and when you think you've rinsed enough, rinse some more.

As for substrate, I would throw it away and buy new stuff if you can. Cleaning sand is damn near impossible and gravel isn't much better. Decorations you can usually boil or do the dishwasher route. Or, throw away and get new stuff. Either is your choice.

Sorry some of us do have a life, career, school, etc and can't come at every beck and call. Hope we did help.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #9 
kevinbacon

I tend to stay away from any form of chemical in my tanks. Don't want to take any chances.

The SAFEST way (if you have the patience):

Empty the entire tank. Rinse everything with super hot water, or even soak it in boiling water if you'd like to. Definitely won't hurt.

Lay out all your supplies and wait. Let it air dry for a few days, a week. Most water-borne bacteria and pathogens cannot survive out of water for more than a few seconds.

This should take care of any problems you have. Plus, it's super cheap!
kevinbacon is offline   Reply With Quote