Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #11 
phoenix91

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
that's a considerable beard. does she have an ovipositor? she looks VERY male there.
Very male, um... ovipoistor? egg spot? Is that what you mean? I'm not sure, i can't really tell, lately s/hes been very aggressive and darts around the tank when i get close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjz96 View Post
Definately looks like a guy. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oduelz View Post
It looks kinda like a Delta Tail male to me :P
This fish has to be close to 2 years old now, i've had her/him over a year and a half and over the last few months this look and this behaviour have emerged. Late bloomer? It's kind of sad too because s/he was so pretty when i first got her and now s/he looks like a fish on setoids

If it is a male wouldn't the tail be bigger, or is it some variant of a plakat?
phoenix91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #12 
Oduelz

Maybe its a variety of a plakat, I haven't really seen a delta plakat though. Has the fish ever made any bubble nests?
Oduelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #13 
phoenix91

Yes, s/he used to make them a lot. I asked about the sex of this fish on this forum oh about a year ago, something like that and at the time the general opinion was female, but now this flaring and behaviour makes me think male.

Not that it really matters much, s/he lives alone in a 5 g and isn't going to get moved any time soon.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #14 
Oduelz

Hmmm well it was my belief that typically only males made bubble nests, however, females can to from what i've been reading. I also read that females can/will lay eggs when they mature, even without the presence of a male. I take it this has never happened?
Oduelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #15 
TheCheese909

Bettas sold in stores are typically about a year in age. At this time it's much easier to tell who is male and who is female, by size and fins, especially ventral fins. Your she looks like it may as well be a he. Some females are able to grow out larger fins, but it's undesirable so they aren't bred much which is why you see so few of them. However, their ventral fins will not grow long like males.

Both males and females build bubble nests, though it seems males do it more often.

Your fish looks alot like my HM male after he started recovering from when he went on a tail biting frenzy. Photo below.

It's hard to tell for sure if it's male or female though i would call it a boy.

But to answer your original question females do flare. It's totally normal, they do it often. As they age they will both become more aggressive.

What did you originally buy him/her as? The short tail makes me wonder if it's some kind of cross with a Plakat, even though the body looks nothing like one.
Attached Images

TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #16 
phoenix91

No, no eggs. She used to make bubble nests when she was a lot more female looking.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #17 
phoenix91

Originally bought as a veiltail female over a year and a half ago.

this is a photo from the time i first got her:

Name:  DSCF2203.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  54.7 KB

Then this is a little later when the fins had started to grow an she was changing colour:

Name:  photo (7).JPG
Views: 31
Size:  88.9 KB

and then of course the ones i posted earlier, you can't see clearly but the ventral fins are pretty long but thin and long. Looks like a completely different fish. She was much cuter when she was little. She's not huge in the body or head, not like my CT male whose body was fairly stocky.

Last edited by phoenix91; 10-04-2012 at 09:42 PM.