Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #1 
labloverl

I set up new tank and added the betta.. then...

I just sat up a new 3.5 gallon, added gravel and some plants, and acclimated the betta. I had the filter running also. I had a background on it, but he went crazy flaring so I had to take it off. A little while later, it looked like his fins were starting to clamp a little and he darted around the tank everytime I moved. I thought that I should check the ammonia levels, and the results looked a little greenish to me. Why would there be ammonia when I just put the fish in? The fish had been in a 1.5 gallon quarantine for about a week, so it shouldn't have been the regular conditioned tap water. I did a big water change and checked again, but the yellow and green results are hard to tell apart. It looked a little yellower, but... Oh, and I plan to cycle the tank.
labloverl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I just sat up a new 3.5 gallon, added gravel and some plants, and acclimated the betta. I had the filter running also. I had a background on it, but he went crazy flaring so I had to take it off. A little while later, it looked like his fins were starting to clamp a little and he darted around the tank everytime I moved. I thought that I should check the ammonia levels, and the results looked a little greenish to me. Why would there be ammonia when I just put the fish in? The fish had been in a 1.5 gallon quarantine for about a week, so it shouldn't have been the regular conditioned tap water. I did a big water change and checked again, but the yellow and green results are hard to tell apart. It looked a little yellower, but... Oh, and I plan to cycle the tank.
Maybe something leaching from the gravel?
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #3 
labloverl

I don't know. The fish went back to acting normal after the water change and today the ammonia result was 0.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 
Bettanewbie60

Quote:
Originally Posted by labloverl View Post
I don't know. The fish went back to acting normal after the water change and today the ammonia result was 0.
Well, that's good! Hopefully there won't be anymore problems..
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #5 
homegrown terror

it could also be a psychological response to being put in a bigger tank...think of all the stories you hear about people who have been in prison for years suddenly not knowing how to react to a big wide world when they get released.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #6 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

You should check and see if you have any ammonia in your tap water. Happy to hear your fish is back to normal now !
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #7 
labloverl

He definitely did go pretty crazy once in the bigger tank. He's completely back to normal now though. I do need to check the tap water...

Bettanewbie, I'm sure there will be more problems. :) This is my first fish-in cycle, so there's bound to be problems lol!