Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 
Kira and Cleoh

To get the best results..?

So I LOVE colorful bettas! My female though isnt that colorful (I still love her to bits though!!) She has a Black body and red fins, What color of male could give me the most variety colors of fry? and also any tips on raising healthy fry?
Kira and Cleoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I do not know the genetic part. Live food as fries helps the colors as adults if given as adults helps thefe color too.I say orange, blue, or green.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #3 
Kira and Cleoh

Okay, :) Im just going to lookup genitics, I know that with horses, ( I also own my own horse :) ) If for say you have a Creme gene, and a black gene, its common to get something around Bay>Buckskin(sorry if this crazy horse person don make sense :P ) So maybe Im thinking If I had a red Gene and a blue gene, Maybe you'd get like a purple, or a combination? Then again horses are different than Fish XD
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #4 
VictorP

No. Blue and red are dominant colours so you would get red/blue wash in your fry which is unacceptable for showing.
VictorP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #5 
Creat

Your female probably has a lot of hidden genes, meaning she probably will throw lots of other colors besides red but red is a very dominant color and will be shown in the fry the most. Is she the one in your avi pic? In that one she looks stressed and when stressed they dont show much color. Were you looking on producing fry for a sorority? Good clean water and food variety help the most in producing healthy fry.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #6 
Kira and Cleoh

No That isnt the girl I'll be breeding, I will post a picture of her, So would red>Green be nice? Or a red > yellow?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #7 
Creat

Depends what colors do you want? You will get multi's mostly mixing her with anyone but red and yellow would make a lot of reds maybe some light colors and maybe blues, red and green would be a lot of red and blue multi's .
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 AM   #8 
Kira and Cleoh

Hmm okay.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I find with yellow since it is just a "mutated" gene of red you would end up with a good number of red - green is usually a blue/yellow, which again leads you back to green I find if you use a multi, you could be able to aim to a larger variety of color though red and blue will remain the most dominant especially if the background is unknown. If you wanted to breed to show, multi I hear isn't the best choice... But if for another reason, find something that you could play around with (safely and still with the fish's health in mind of course) although words and reading are great educational means, hands on does help a lot.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

1. I'm still waiting for her picture (your female)
2. What do you mean by "colorful" - just 2-3 color or multiple color blotches (like koi).

I agree with everyone above.

Try using the color/pattern you want so your fry will carry the desired mutated genes. Working from scratch can take you years of breeding before you get that desired mutation.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote