Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Unhappy Scratched??? Or something else?

I have a 2 gallon tank, with plastic plants, 1 live plant, a cave, a shiny marble (he loves the marble) and a treasure chest like ornament.

Temp is about 78 ish. Heated

Ph 7 ish.

Tank buddy: Zebra nerite snail

I came back home today, and as usual I check on my betta to see how he is.

He has a spot on his head, but it has no fluff nor does it look like it's fungus. It looks more like a scratch, on the side his scales look ruffled as it has brushed against something hard.

This odd because the decor has been the same from the past 2 months I have had him.

Except for the treasure chest that was added like a week ago. It's the only rough decorum I can think of, as it is made of pottery/stone??

Another theory is that he got into the little cave I put him and had issues going out, but I've never had issues with him going in and out of the cave.

Perhaps I should pull out the treasure chest for now. it does look like he brushed against something right? or perhaps squeezed in somewhere?

Any ideas of how I can help his healing? Apart from keeping water clean, AQ salt and a stress coat (If i can find any, so far it looks like i will have to ship it.)

How long does it take a betta to heal from such wounds
?

Honestly I'm very disappointed in myself for allowing this to happen. Sure, it's my first betta and all, but after all the research I did, it's my fault he got hurt.

His beautiful scales has been roughed up :/

This is his tank.

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #2 
Cerulean

I just posted the exact Same thing last night, thanks for the photo , my camera is broken. Mine looks exactly the same but he has a few more spots. I too guessed that that was what happened to my boy aswell. I put in some more water.conditioner right away as it has stuff to help there slime coating, and mixed up some epsom salts and put that In too as I don't have aq salt at hand. I have know idea what happened to mine either but hopefully they will be able to get there beautiful scales back with more problems. If u find out anything else will u please share. Thanks and good luck.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #3 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
I just posted the exact Same thing last night, thanks for the photo , my camera is broken. Mine looks exactly the same but he has a few more spots. I too guessed that that was what happened to my boy aswell. I put in some more water.conditioner right away as it has stuff to help there slime coating, and mixed up some epsom salts and put that In too as I don't have aq salt at hand. I have know idea what happened to mine either but hopefully they will be able to get there beautiful scales back with more problems. If u find out anything else will u please share. Thanks and good luck.

Np as far as I been told, its not a matter of putting conditioner but making sure the water is warm (77f) (warm water helps the healingit seems), put a little salt and keep water clean so it won't get fungus or anything.

Basically what people been saying is give it tender loving care and remove the harmful object.

If you don't know which one it was, i suggest you get the ornaments and you pull them out leaving stuff like silk plants and real plants, then one by one add the decoration (every other week) and see if there is any damage. At least that is what I intend to do.

So far i claimed it was the treasure chest (shame cause i love it) and I removed it and im going to check everyday for new signs of injury, or not.

Can be also caused by filters but, mine isn't filtered.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #4 
LizzyP

It could be the plastic plants, too. Did you rub them against a stocking before putting them in? Anything that snags or tears a stocking can hurt your betta.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:46 AM   #5 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyP View Post
It could be the plastic plants, too. Did you rub them against a stocking before putting them in? Anything that snags or tears a stocking can hurt your betta.
Yes I did the plastic plants and the cave but not the chest :/ I was just that stupid.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:28 AM   #6 
Cerulean

He only has silk plants, I put a log in about a month ago that he loves , so it might be that. I pulled it out to check and it did have some very sharp edges so I filed them all smooth and put it back in. We will seeE what happens
Old 10-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #7 
Cerulean

Oy hAsuka try feeling around the inside edges of the trunk or log thing u have in there. Mine was in for a while before this happened and I never thought to check the inside. When I did the holes edges were very sharp. I just took an emery board and filed them all till smooth and I think yours Might be th e same thing. They are just molded and they don't think to check inside but that is where they hide the most and if startled or something maybe that is what got our boys. Hope your boy heals up ok. Mine looks the same but with 3 more spots, his heads looks sore. Best of luck
Old 10-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #8 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
Oy hAsuka try feeling around the inside edges of the trunk or log thing u have in there. Mine was in for a while before this happened and I never thought to check the inside. When I did the holes edges were very sharp. I just took an emery board and filed them all till smooth and I think yours Might be th e same thing. They are just molded and they don't think to check inside but that is where they hide the most and if startled or something maybe that is what got our boys. Hope your boy heals up ok. Mine looks the same but with 3 more spots, his heads looks sore. Best of luck

thanks, he looks like he's healing, I'm keeping his water clean and so far no signs of fungus, infection or anything :D
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #9 
Cerulean

Mine too is healing quite well. Glad yours is too. It is so stressful when they get sick or hurt, but he is the longest living one that I have had and I have nursed him through sb disease , got him a fancy new pad and now this , so he is a survivor. Hopefully this is it for a while now. Good luck in the future.