Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #11 
eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsterbit View Post
Flourish Comprehensive as a fertilizer as well as an Iron supplement and Excel from the same company (Flourish).
Are those available at most pet stores? =] Or would I have to order them online? How many hours do you leave your light on? I was told that it's supposed to be like a full 12 hrs.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #12 
Fredsterbit

Those are available at my lps. I really dont know if they're available everywhere. I leave the light on for 8 hrs. That is enough for the plants. There's a user named Byron that has been very helpful to me in these situations. He's a guru.
Fredsterbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #13 
eclipse

Alright. =] Thank you very much.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It sounds like you brought home a fish with digestive issues (not uncommon) and then fed him freeze-dried bloodworms which are noted for their tendency to bloat when not used carefully.

Exactly that has happened to me and, I'm sure, others on this forum. And, yes, it is painful and discouraging.

But you've obviously taken the time and effort to research and learn what is required to keepa healthy happy Betta. Around here, we wish more people would follow your example.

No rush. Get over it. Someday soon you'll want to fill that tank and use the knowledge you've gained and strive for more.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #15 
eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
It sounds like you brought home a fish with digestive issues (not uncommon) and then fed him freeze-dried bloodworms which are noted for their tendency to bloat when not used carefully.

Exactly that has happened to me and, I'm sure, others on this forum. And, yes, it is painful and discouraging.

But you've obviously taken the time and effort to research and learn what is required to keepa healthy happy Betta. Around here, we wish more people would follow your example.

No rush. Get over it. Someday soon you'll want to fill that tank and use the knowledge you've gained and strive for more.
I appreciate that, it's really encouraging. =)
It hurt to fail on the first try, when everyone told me that their betta are perfectly happy living in a dirty bowl, and that I shouldn't waste my space and money with an actual tank. Watching him suffer was even worse.
I keep finding differing opinions on feeding. Is there something else that I should be feeding my betta in the future? I can't really do live, as I'm limited in space at the moment.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A good quality pellet as a staple. One which lists a protein source as the first ingredient. Omega One and New Life Spectrum (NLS) are popular around here.

Betta like a variety of food, so include some "frozen" bloodworms every few days for protein and frozen Daphnia occasionally for roughage and laxative. Don't overfeed (that's something you get the hang of with experience).

Salt should only be used as a treatment for a known condition. For bloat and other digestive problems, Epsom salt is the preferred treatment. Kosher or aquarium salt is used for skin conditions. Some highly-experienced members (Byron, for instance) do not recommend using salt at all.

Good advice from Fred on plants. If you only have Wisteria and swords. You don't have to get too fancy with ferts and light. Anubias, Java moss and Java fern are also easy to care for.

While you're waiting to decide what to do, you might consider cycling your tank. There are several good stickies near the top of the Tanks and Habitats section.

Betta are weird that way. They can live miserably in a cold, dirty bowl for years, yet sicken and die with the best of care. It's frustrating. But while we cherish them and care for them responsibly, they live fine "happy" lives.

Last edited by Hallyx; 10-04-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #17 
Aus

Those fish in dirty little dinky bowls are not better off. They are just hanging in there, because nothing changes for them, and bettas are great at hanging in and surviving bad conditions even if it's an awful life for them.

They aren't great at coping with change, and I find they are really sensitive to water chemistry changes (like, from filthy pet store cup to lovely clean tank, etc.) and also can suffer badly from sudden pH changes, in my experience.

My first betta ever was sickly from the get-go and I fear I made his health worse by not acclimating properly, shifting him from pillar to post and changing things around way too much. I think he would have perished anyway, but I now know that taking things slowly and reducing chemical stress may have helped him some..

Don't feel bad. It sounds like you have a great set-up. I have a new fish in my first betta's tank, and she's absolutely thriving in there. I didn't disinfect, just let it run a couple of weeks with no fish in it. Added some plants, java fern and java moss, etc. I acclimated the new fish slowly, and she's been in booming health since day 1. It was really encouraging, especially as two of the boys I bought from my LFS are chronically sickly. One died, the other is STILL hanging in there, how I do not know but he is.

Leave your tank running, wait a couple of weeks and choose a very healthy-looking fish (it's really pot luck with pet store fish..), add some moss and leafy plants. Acclimate the fish slowly, expect some 'down time' as he adjusts. Your swords will need root tabs eventually, and the wisteria likes iron supplements. Java moss & fern will thrive happily on fish poo alone, and do well in low light conditions.

My fish eat Bettamin floating pellets twice a day, plus New Life Spectrum betta pellets now and then, and occasionally snack on cherry shrimp and mosquitos/mosquito larvae. I have never had SBD in any of my tanks (cross fingers).

Last edited by Aus; 10-05-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #18 
vilmarisv

How unfortunate but I have to agree that there was not much you could do with an already sick fish.
Ask someone at the store when they get their betta shipments and go a day or two after. This will give you a better chance at a fish that hasn't been sitting in a dirty cup for weeks.
There's a little cylinder shaped black sponge great for filter intakes from Fluval. It will stop your fish from getting his fins stuck in the filter and it's around $3
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote