Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #1 
Pogthefish

White stringy stuff on bottom of tank, possbily poop?

So I got this new girl and She was fune, except for a few nipped fisn and a cut on her side that looked red and inflamed, so I put her in the QT thinking that her cut would heal soon and she would be fine, but she ISN't fine. The cut now has white stuff coming out, which might be the stuff I see on the bottom of her tank, I cant tell. The scales around the cut stick up like dropsy, but its not dropsy, I have had her for weeks. I have her on aq salt (well I DID but it has been over 10 days) and she is showing no signs of improvement, but her fins are fully healed. I noticed a hole in her cadual the other day, though. There are no decorations in there except a pot she can hide in. Should I try esp? Is this possibly internal? I haven't seen brown poops, so the white stuff might be poop, which means parasites. Never treated parasites cuz I qt all my fish, so never had a real outbreak. She really wants to be in the sorority, the qt is only 1000 ml. (about 1/4 gallon) ans she is a big girl, she needs room to swim. I will add a pic when I get home, but the camera wont pick up on the cut, it is very blurry :/
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #2 
LittleFish2012

I think it is parasites, but I'm not sure. Keywords like "white stringy" typically mean parasites.
If I were you, I would try an antibiotic, like maracyn plus. MAYBE epsom salts as well. But I wouldn't use epsom salts in conjunction with aquarium salts. I'm not sure about mixing too many medications...
Or try something with methylene blue, or methylene blue itself if you can find it. That usually works well. I recommend it if nothing else.

Beware of pineconing scales accompanied by a bloated body. If you suspect dropsy, treat her IMMEDIATELY!! Or else it will be too late. Parasites can be the cause of dropsy, which dropsy itself is a sign of organ failure.
I highly doubt that's the case, so don't worry. Especially since you've caught whatever it is early. I'm just letting you know the absolute worst case scenario if this carries on for a long time.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #3 
Pogthefish

I ALWAYS get paranoid of dropsy, trust me. I would notice. I saw normal reddish brown ones, I thought the red was blood, but I realized all my bettas did it, then I realized one of the most common foods I give them is reddish brown :P I will be watching her closely. It seems odd that her cut won't heal, though. I won't put her in the sorority untill it heals. Never treated for a cut that was deeper than the scales, though. I think it might be an infection because I think I see a small one forming above and to the right of it, but it might be just me imagining stuff. I would have my mom, a retired fish-keeper look at it, but her vision is poor and she can barely see it :/ I will go to the pet store. I officially took her off aq salt because it has been way too long.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #4 
LittleFish2012

Oh dear. :( Make sure you are very, very careful not to contaminate anyone else. I think bacteria is contagious...
Careful around pet stores. I can't stress enough to take their advice with a grain of salt.
And maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but the ones where I am are always inaccurate. -_-

Good luck, and sorry if I was no help.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #5 
Pogthefish

Its fine, you helped, and trust me, I know how bad pet stores are :P