Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #11 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
the dad is beautiful! i think he might be a MG though, not a pineapple. pineapples usually have solid yellow fins with black/navy blue rimming around the edges.
He's less shiny in person, but I can see why you think that and I believe he could produce MG offspring if paired with another fish with heavy iridescence. I also wouldn't be surprised if one of his parents was MG. The blue is confined to the edges of the scales, but when light hits it right it looks like a smooth sheen :)

I have reset the spawning process because of a mishap with the female getting into the breeding tank too early and getting beaten up. Conditioning will restart in 4-5 days :)

Last edited by babystarz; 09-23-2012 at 11:53 AM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #12 
Creat

Aw I almost got him... but I will most likely want his babies :) And I dont think he is completely pineapple or mustard gas. He is almost to what I would call a yellow salamander ( what I am trying to breed/ figure out) but his body is a little to light.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #13 
babystarz

Here's a pic of the female when she escaped, showing vertical bars:

Here is what she looks like now. Sigh :/

Both tanks were heavily tinted from IAL so their colors are a bit obscured.

I got a video when she was still in her jar too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyL_m...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by babystarz; 09-23-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #14 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
OFL spawns and raises all her bettas in planted tanks, she almost never has missing ventrals. I think there is much more food available in an aged planted tank that the fry are swimming trying to get the natural food already in the tank. I would also think the fry would be more at home and would swim around more than in a bare tank with almost nothing for them to do.

That's just my two cents. I have never bred before though.
I think you need to compare your breeding goals with OFL's.
She has good methods that work for her but if you're breeding show fish there's things that will improve your fry's finnage and growth rate that might differ in a setup like that.

My fry are very active and swim all over the tank. I make my own natural food by using plants at the beginning of the spawn to create infusoria for the fry to eat the first few days. Then I start the water changes and feed live food.

The problem with ignoring the need for large water changes is the stunting hormone released by the fry. Your fry will grow but at a much slower rate than one that get large water changes to remove the hormone.

By the looks of your pair I assume you're breeding to maybe show one day but if I'm wrong then ignore my imput.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #15 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I think you need to compare your breeding goals with OFL's.
She has good methods that work for her but if you're breeding show fish there's things that will improve your fry's finnage and growth rate that might differ in a setup like that.

My fry are very active and swim all over the tank. I make my own natural food by using plants at the beginning of the spawn to create infusoria for the fry to eat the first few days. Then I start the water changes and feed live food.

The problem with ignoring the need for large water changes is the stunting hormone released by the fry. Your fry will grow but at a much slower rate than one that get large water changes to remove the hormone.

By the looks of your pair I assume you're breeding to maybe show one day but if I'm wrong then ignore my imput.
You do make good points and I am thinking about going ahead and getting another 20 long tank to keep bare for them. I just got some really nice metal shelving on wheels with 4 tiers so I will have the space for more large tanks.

I would like to breed high quality fish with good features and hopefully show one day, yes.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #16 
babystarz

Just wanted to give an update: Conditioning has restarted and this time I have opted not to put a piece of cardboard in between the male and female (their tanks are side by side).

Additionally, I have a greater variety of plants set up in the spawning tank this time, which I think will help the female feel safer. There's a bunch of java moss, guppy grass, frogbit, and subwassertang in there. I will be adding some IAL soon so the water is nice and dark by the time the fish are ready to be moved to the spawning tank.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #17 
Mo

Is this the pair you were talking about? this is a very nice pair!
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #18 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
Is this the pair you were talking about? this is a very nice pair!
Yes it is!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 AM   #19 
tanseattle

Any pictures of the fries??
tanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #20 
Mo

Hey. Ill ship those baggies out today or tomorrow since I havnt been able to do so all week long. I cant wait to recieve this pair!
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote