Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #11 
sainthogan

he/she is also about 2 1/2 inches long.
I'm still trying to get proper lighting to see the striping in a picture.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #12 
DragonFish

Oh I've had males that were terrified of the mirror, and a couple that I have now could just care less about their reflection. xD
Hmm....I'm really not sure then. Fishys ventrals look short, but thick....and the egg spot is there, but seems smallish....Fishy should be fairly fully grown by now, but the pictures look as if, regardless of gender, there is some fin damage that has yet to heal up(you mentioned Fishy had been sick correct? That could have effected growth...).
If you can get those other pictures, that would be great. I may spot something in them that I didn't see in the others....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #13 
sainthogan

Yes, he/she had velvet and then when he/she started feeling better, got spunky and jumped out her his/her tank - about a 4 to 4 1/2 foot drop out of a 1/2 inch opening and was out of the water at least a half an hour. We have an infestation of fruit flies, so I have a feeling s/he jumped for one of those. That was a week ago yesterday, the fin regrowth is coming along nicely now. S/he's never had very long fins. We'd had him/her about 2 months or so when the velvet occurred. I'm going to try to set up the tank lighting today, or at least have some sort of overhead lighting that could show off the stripes. Oh, and I noticed the egg spot seemed larger yesterday and then the vibrant stripes showed up today.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #14 
OrangeAugust

She was out of water for a half hour and survived??
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:03 PM   #15 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
She was out of water for a half hour and survived??

Yes, amazingly she did, she was completely covered in dust and at first wasn't very responsive, but I rinsed her off and she started swimming. The really scary part was that it happened the night before I was going out of town for 4 days, so I wasn't going to be home to keep an eye on her. My mom came over to feed her and told me that she wasn't very active the first couple of days and just hung out at the top of the bottom of the tank, but then after that, she began to swim around and become more active. By the time I got home, she was back to her happy, feisty self.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #16 
OrangeAugust

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Yes, amazingly she did, she was completely covered in dust and at first wasn't very responsive, but I rinsed her off and she started swimming. The really scary part was that it happened the night before I was going out of town for 4 days, so I wasn't going to be home to keep an eye on her. My mom came over to feed her and told me that she wasn't very active the first couple of days and just hung out at the top of the bottom of the tank, but then after that, she began to swim around and become more active. By the time I got home, she was back to her happy, feisty self.
Wow, that's awesome.
My Lila jumped out last weekend when I wasn't home for two days, so by the time I got home and saw her it was too late.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #17 
sainthogan

Finally got some good pics

Ok, here are the best photos so far of Fishy, the striping is pretty obvious in these pictures, and they show off her/his true color much better than the old photos.

So what do you think, boy or girl?
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #18 
DragonFish

Hmm...yeah, now that I can see Fishys body shape a little better, I would say female with the small possibility of a young male still. Just watch and see how Fishy grows over the next couple of months now that shes healthy and of course clearly perking up. xD Its not unusual for Petsmart or Petco to mislabel genders really, it happens all the time. They're shipped to them with labels and thats how they label them, no one bothers to check. ;P

And actually generally so long as bettas stay wet, they can survive out of the water for quite some time. ;)
Old 10-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #19 
sainthogan

Thank you, I think I'll go with female for now, unless she proves me otherwise. I kind of figured that is what they did at pet stores, but the employee almost got mad at me for suggesting that Fishy was a female when I bought her. Oh well.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #20 
DragonFish

Oh it happens ALL the time. I've seen so many PK males mislabeled as females, and even a couple of females like yours mislabeled as PK males....I've even seen a Delta/HM with quite a bit of fin damage labeled as an HMPK at Petco. The employees generally know nothing....but sadly sometimes they think they do. xP

xD Well Fishy is very lovely, whether she ends up turning into a male or not, lol. I love her eyes, such a pretty blue. <3