Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #1 
Adelais

What does he have?

Hey, I'm new here and to owning bettas. Though I currently have four, one I got a few months ago, another three days ago (currently under going treatment for mild fin rot and split fin), and two tonight (I was actually only going in for one but, ended up with two). Anyway, one the guys that I bought tonight looks pretty ratty and I'm really concerned about a couple spots on his body. Just for the record he does have fin rot, is extremely under weight, has cotton like growth at the tips of his fins, and some of his fins look broken. Anyway, back to the spots, one spot in particular has me worried. It's located near his back end and is about the size of a small pencil eraser and black. He also has one on the other side but it is much smaller and lighter. I'm not sure what it is and I'm pretty concerned. Right now he is currently being treated with aquarium salt and stress coat to help with his fin rot. He is very active and does have an appetite, so whatever it is doesn't seem to be bringing him down too much.
I'll try and get some pictures up of him tomorrow.

Just a note, he has been at the pet store for over a month, maybe even two (poor guy). I had been eyeing him for quite some time and finally decided to get him this evening.

He is currently in a 2.5 gallon heated aquarium, no filter right now. I do have one just don't have enough outlets to plug it in. Going tomorrow to pick up an extension cord and power strip.The tank is just temporary until he gets better, then he will be moved to a larger tank.
Adelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:21 AM   #2 
Mahachai

My guess is bacterial infection on the skin. Daily water change is recommended until you can find some treatment for him.
Mahachai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #3 
Adelais

Update. He is looking much better! He has already gained a decent amount of weight, his fin rot is slowly clearing up, as well as the inflammation on his gills. The only thing I'm concerned about is the black spot on his side still isn't gone, though it does look lighter. Here are a couple of pictures: Sorry he's so far away camera wouldn't focus up close. If it is a skin infection what should I treat him with?
Oh! And I did notice that he does have a bit of gray coloration around his gills/face (it was black when I first got him, but it's now lightened quite a bit and is more of a light gray color).

These pictures are from two days ago. The spot is lighter, about two shades lighter now.

In this picture you can see the slight graying around his face a gills.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 
Adelais

Whoa! Sorry for the massive pictures.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #5 
Adelais

Bump. Just an update, he is out of the salt now, reached his max days a day or two ago. Still has some fin rot, but it is MUCH better. My main concern is that the black spot is still there and hasn't changed size at all, though it is lighter. What should I do?
Oh! And he also doesn't seem to be as active now, mostly he just lays at the bottom of his tank or hides under the heater.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #6 
jeremywadejunior

How's the cotton growth you mentioned around the fins?

Also, how's his poo looking?
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #7 
Adelais

The cotton growth is all gone, it disappeared after the third day, and his poo looks normal. He does look much healthier, I see the biggest improvement in his scales and fins. They all look MUCH better except for that one spot on his side. It just won't go away.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Unless that dark spot is raised, fuzzy...etc.....IMO it is normal pigment and nothing to worry about. If its raised or has texture to it-It might be a melanoma (pigment cell tumor) No treatment and usually not fatal-they can grow, crack or open up and ooze-heal over and repeat.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #9 
Adelais

Update. Sadly, today he has taken a turn for the worse. I thought he was out of the woods, i.e. his fin rot was practically gone, the black spot was much smaller and lighter, and he was really starting to come out of his shell, was flaring and checking everything out. Then, I woke up today to find him wedged under his heater on turned up on his side. When I moved it to see if he was alright, I noticed that the cotton growth is back only worse, as well as his fin rot, the black spot on his side is bigger and blacker, and now he barely moves just sits on the bottom or goes back to being wedged under the heater. Only now, he has a new symptom. Periodically he darts around slamming against the glass (you can hear the little thunks) when he does this it almost looks like he's having a seizure. Body spazzing out, he's gasping for air etc. then just floats back down to the bottom and doesn't move until another wave of the spazzes hits him. As soon as I noticed all of this I did a full water change, scrubbed and cleaned everything out really well and put him back in (with stress coat). I would have like to put in AQS but he reached his max day a few days ago and it's too soon to put him back in it. I don't know what to do. He looks so miserable (he's just lying there at the bottom of his tank), and I feel so helpless.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #10 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelais View Post
Update. Sadly, today he has taken a turn for the worse. I thought he was out of the woods, i.e. his fin rot was practically gone, the black spot was much smaller and lighter, and he was really starting to come out of his shell, was flaring and checking everything out. Then, I woke up today to find him wedged under his heater on turned up on his side. When I moved it to see if he was alright, I noticed that the cotton growth is back only worse, as well as his fin rot, the black spot on his side is bigger and blacker, and now he barely moves just sits on the bottom or goes back to being wedged under the heater. Only now, he has a new symptom. Periodically he darts around slamming against the glass (you can hear the little thunks) when he does this it almost looks like he's having a seizure. Body spazzing out, he's gasping for air etc. then just floats back down to the bottom and doesn't move until another wave of the spazzes hits him. As soon as I noticed all of this I did a full water change, scrubbed and cleaned everything out really well and put him back in (with stress coat). I would have like to put in AQS but he reached his max day a few days ago and it's too soon to put him back in it. I don't know what to do. He looks so miserable (he's just lying there at the bottom of his tank), and I feel so helpless.
The white growth makes me think bacterial infection. When he slams against the glass, he is trying to "scratch" himself because he is uncomfortable. Get something that will treat gram-negative bacteria. I'm thinking this could be Columnaris which appears as white growths on the fish/ in his tank. Also, gasping for air is common for these infections, too. As the infection progresses, it eats away at a fish's skin/scales (in extreme cases, fins will fall off). This leaves the fish more vulnerable for internal infection.

The case doesn't sound too severe, yet, but the sooner you can add medication to his water, the better.

Best of luck! I am currently trying to rid a tank of Columnaris, too.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote