Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #1 
crowntaillove

Sorority?

Could I start a 4 fish sorority in a 10 gallon, or do I need to go pick up X amount of fish to disperse the aggression?

AND

I recently aquired a male veiltail and crowntail female, they came with a 2.5 gallon and a 1 gallon. Who should I place where to make them the most comfortable?
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #2 
Hassled

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
Could I start a 4 fish sorority in a 10 gallon, or do I need to go pick up X amount of fish to disperse the aggression?
Some people have successful sororities with only 4 in a 10 gallon. 5 could work too, that is what I have currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
Who should I place where to make them the most comfortable?
No clue what you are asking here, sorry.
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:04 AM   #3 
Halfmoon

I'm cycling my new tank right now as i'm watching He man lol, It's a 10g Tetra tank, and looking forward to adding my two new Halfmoon females to it, what is the max amount of female bettas i could add into the tank?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Halfmoon; 10-05-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #4 
Hassled

There is a good sticky thread on this website that has a lot of information on female sororities. Max amount is 5-6 in a ten gallon, really depends on how often you can change the water and how tempered your bettas are.

Go read the sticky thread, has good info.
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #5 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassled View Post
Some people have successful sororities with only 4 in a 10 gallon. 5 could work too, that is what I have currently.

No clue what you are asking here, sorry.
Sorry, what I meant was. Until I start the sorority, which fish (male or female) should I place in either tank, the 2.5 or the 1 gallon?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #6 
MoonShadow

In a heavily planted 10 gallon i would put 6 or 7 females (yes some people would consider that overstocked but females do best in situations where they are slightly over stocked, it helps spread out aggression even better) If you have good filtration and keep up on water changes it will not be a problem. Make sure the tank is heavily planted with lots of hiding places.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #7 
Freyja
Banned

Put the girl in the 2.5g because my experience has been that girls are a bit more active. Then when you add her to your sorority, you can put the boy there and keep the 1 g as a hospital/QT tank.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #8 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
In a heavily planted 10 gallon i would put 6 or 7 females (yes some people would consider that overstocked but females do best in situations where they are slightly over stocked, it helps spread out aggression even better) If you have good filtration and keep up on water changes it will not be a problem. Make sure the tank is heavily planted with lots of hiding places.
okay, I'll go pick up a few more females tonight or tomorrow. How often should I be changing their water, or do the same water change rules apply to every 10 gallon? (I'd assume not, due to more fish)

How did you introduce your fish to the sorority? I've heard of putting them in in order of aggression, and I've also heard of putting them all in at once. Which do you recommend?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #9 
OrangeAugust

Is your tank cycled? You definitely have to cycle a 10 gallon tank first. So unless it's cycled right now, don't get a bunch more females yet unless you have somewhere to put them.
And yes, read the sticky thread about sororities. It's informative.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #10 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
Is your tank cycled? You definitely have to cycle a 10 gallon tank first. So unless it's cycled right now, don't get a bunch more females yet unless you have somewhere to put them.
And yes, read the sticky thread about sororities. It's informative.
I have read the sticky. That's why I started a new thread to ask if 4 females is okay, or if members would recommend I get more from their experiences.

Is there any particular reason why I have to cycle a sorority, or is it just something you recommend?