Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Angelfish Question

i went out last night and bought 4 Angelfish for my 30g tank

my question is are they still baby's or almost fully grown

and i have no idea if there female or male lol here are some pictures hope someone can help


http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1349464992
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1349465001
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1349465007
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1349465012
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1349465019
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1349465025
Attached Images
      
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #2 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
oh and this is how my tank looks like

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1349465297
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
I don't know, but I have to say a few things...

Your tank is overstocked, 55 Gallons minimum for Angels. It might make your tank have a mini-cycle, or even an ammonia spike.
Did you even QT them? You risk contamination from them to your current fish.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #4 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
I don't know, but I have to say a few things...

Your tank is overstocked, 55 Gallons minimum for Angels. It might make your tank have a mini-cycle, or even an ammonia spike.
Did you even QT them? You risk contamination from them to your current fish.
this is not my first time doing this i have been doing this for over 10 years thanks for the concern tho
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
Well, OK... I was just trying to do what's best for the fish. So you don't quarantine new arrivals?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #6 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Well, OK... I was just trying to do what's best for the fish. So you don't quarantine new arrivals?
i did not say that i don't my fish are fine thank you for your concern but its a simple question i asked are they baby's, juveniles, or almost adults and maybe if anyone knows a male or a female

Last edited by MarcusTheGreat; 10-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta
Member
 
LebronTheBetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MD
I know, but you got them yesterday and now they're in the main tank today.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
I am not an expert on Angelfish-but my oldest (7ish months) is about the size of my hand-including fins and the youngest (5ish months) is about the size of the palm of my hand including fins-However, mine are mass fed lots of live food and my homemade food and being kept in a 55gal soil based heavy planted tank with a breeding pair of Albino longfin BN plecos and their offspring, several Betta juvies, lots of RCS and common snails. I don't think they are full grown or sexually mature-since they haven't paired off yet..still waiting....lol.....I plan to add Angelfish to the mix of everything else I am breeding....lol....

I am not sure you can tell the sex until they are sexually mature and spawning...the one that lays the eggs is the girl and the one that has the milt is the boy...lol...duh....lol..you don't know until you see them spawning from what I understand...At least that is what I have figured out from the research I have done. I have never successfully spawned this species and look forward to it....

Here is a link to pic of mine and on post #75 a link to some Angelfish articles I have found helpful.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84915&page=8
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #9 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I am not an expert on Angelfish-but my oldest (7ish months) is about the size of my hand-including fins and the youngest (5ish months) is about the size of the palm of my hand including fins-However, mine are mass fed lots of live food and my homemade food and being kept in a 55gal soil based heavy planted tank with a breeding pair of Albino longfin BN plecos and their offspring, several Betta juvies, lots of RCS and common snails. I don't think they are full grown or sexually mature-since they haven't paired off yet..still waiting....lol.....I plan to add Angelfish to the mix of everything else I am breeding....lol....

I am not sure you can tell the sex until they are sexually mature and spawning...the one that lays the eggs is the girl and the one that has the milt is the boy...lol...duh....lol..you don't know until you see them spawning from what I understand...At least that is what I have figured out from the research I have done. I have never successfully spawned this species and look forward to it....

Here is a link to pic of mine and on post #75 a link to some Angelfish articles I have found helpful.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84915&page=8
thank you very much bud for the help appreciate it so if your saying your 5 month old is about the size of your palm im guessing mine are probably 3-4 months old because they are half of my palm thanks again
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #10 
MarcusTheGreat
Member
 
MarcusTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
they are the size of 25 cents Canadian
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.