laynisample

Small tumor like thing on fish's side.

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Two female platies, acting normal and showing no signs of disease.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one pellets, tropical fish flakes, daphnia, blood worms. (Only gets one type of food per day.)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every three days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Small raised bump on both sides where tail fin meets body. Bump looks exactly like a water blister humans would get.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Rubs against my hand when cleaning tank/rearranging decor.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? ~2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Did 5 days of aquarium salt. Added a little coppersafe to his tank yesterday. No change.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? unknown

Bump is low where the tail meets the body. It's that brown spot. Does not have any texture and is smooth.

bump is bigger on his other side. It's in the exact same spot on both sides.
laynisample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 
laynisample

Please, any advice on what I can do for him would be helpful. Today he's lethargic and just hanging out at the top sitting on top of the suction cup part of the ammonia tag and lifting his head up to get water. I did a 100% water change today.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi he is a beautiful fish so sorry your having problems with him ! Did the ammonia come back down to 0 when you did the water change ? I am sorry but a 3 gallon is really not enough for 3 fish it would be better for him alone to be in the 3 gallon. Do you have or can you get another tank for the Platies and in case you need to treat him you would not want those in there anyway. I really am not sure about the bumps but someone should come along that will be able to help. Is he eating well ?
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #4 
laynisample

He's eating well. The only difference in his behavior is the itching. I thought it was parasites and was told to treat the entire tank. The platies will be moving into a different tank in two weeks when I get enough money to buy a new tank. ;) The ammonia did drop back down. I keep a very close eye on the ammonia in the tank, and never let it get above .5ppm. I do water changes every three days to compensate for the extra bioload.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 
britneylovesbettafish

Arrow here you go

i recently expierienced that with my betta fish princess a couple weeks later she died heres what u need to the nearest petsmart or petco and ask them to look at her
britneylovesbettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #6 
laynisample

Here's a better picture showing the "blister". I don't really trust the petsmart and petco around here because they do not give good advice and most of the time their fish are not doing so well.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #7 
laynisample

bumping because I need to know how to treat him. It doesn't look like parasites or fungus, so I've stopped the treatment with the copper. He stopped itching too.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Hi laynisample. What a beautiful guy! Gorgeous coloring. From your description of his symptoms, it sounds like external parasites. The bumps on his sides could possibly be blood blisters caused by the parasites burrowing under his skin/scales. It could also possibly be parasites themselves or even a completely unrelated outbreak of lymphocystis.

Go ahead and add a new carbon cartridge to your guy's filter because you need to make absolutely sure you get all the copper out of the tank. Do a 100% water change and rinse the tank as thoroughly as you can.

Once you're sure you've gotten the copper out, we can try treatment with a external parasite med like API General Cure. A very good med is Seachem ParaGuard but it may need to be ordered online.

If you have API Stress Coat, add a double dose of that as well because it will help your guy keep his slime coat going and also help the platies continue to fight off infestation as well.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #9 
laynisample

Sounds good. I'll look for those meds tomorrow and make sure to pick up another cartridge. Will that ruin the cycle in the tank? I heard the copper was good for external parasites. I have stress coat, so when I do the change I'll add that! Thanks for your help! I hope my little guy gets better.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Coppersafe usually is good for external parasites but if it doesn't seem to be helping, it's okay to switch to a different med. Some types of external parasites can be resistant to one type of medication but vulnerable to another. Unfortunately, without doing some kind of skin scraping and analysis, it's impossible to know which type of external parasite he has. My first thought though would be skin flukes.

No, adding a new cartridge shouldn't ruin your cycle. You may experience a spike but your cycle should catch up. If your filter will allow for it, you can keep the old cartridge behind the new cartridge for a few days to allow it to "seed" the new one with bacteria.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote