Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #1 
ABMomma

New, Sick Betta

Hello everyone (sticky answers halfway down),

My daughter received a betta for a birthday present a week ago. He seemed fine when we got him other than not having an appetite but since then he has become sick.

His symptoms now are:
-White stuff on his body (petstore says fin rot and slime),
-No appetite since we got him (havent seen him eat anything),
-Bloated belly (from what I've seen online),
-Stays in one spot in the tank most of the time,
-Clamped fins (from what I've seen online)
-Starting today he has been having labored underwater breathing and his gills have been sticking out

Yesterday I started medicating him with Bettafix (what the petstore had), he is in a 1 gallon, unheated tank with treated water.

After his first 100% water change, the white stuff appeared on him and after medicating one day his breathing changed. I changed his water again today (100%) with medicated, Aq. salted water. When I changed it he sank to the bottom of the tank and didn't move until I added more unsalted water, thinking that it was too much for him (1/2 tsp for 1 gallon). I also removed his gravel and decoration but left in his little plant. I tried feeding him bloodworms as well but he still wouldnt eat.

Any help on what I should do? I plan on getting him a large tank once we get paid. (Added sticky question answers below).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room temp is 22 Degrees C
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets but hasn't eaten any, tried bloodworms, same thing
How often do you feed your betta fish? Try everyday, hasn't eaten for a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Changed three times since getting him 1 week ago, will be doing everyday.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White stuff on his body, fins have looked this way since lastsaturday when we received him.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stays in one spot at the top of the tank, doesn't do much.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? When we gont him (not eatign or active) 2 daysago (white stuff), today (labored breathing)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Bettafix, salted water, water changes
Does your fish have any history of being ill? -
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, got him saturday.
Attached Images

Last edited by ABMomma; 10-05-2012 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added sticky answers
ABMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 
LittleFish2012

I'm not sure what this is. I'm thinking maybe the early stages of something fungal, if you're seeing white cottony patches on his body. I think its body fungus- but don't hold me to it! Bettas can be tough to diagnose.
"Saprolegnia fungus" is charactarized by white stringy or cottony patches anywhere on the body, fins, tail, mouth, eyes or on open wounds.
And if that's the case, you'll need antifungal medicine and very clean water as you treat him as well as after his treatment.

I've heard Jungle Fungus eliminator or MarOxy are supposed to be good for this. I can't really say for sure because I've never encountered fungal problems...
Other than that, I wouldn't feed him if he won't eat (it'll just make more filth to be cleaned). And 1/2 tsp of AQ salt/gal is not too much. When my fish have troubles, I give them up to 3tsp epsom salt/gal. :)

Hope that helps a little bit.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 
ABMomma

Thank you littlefish, I'll look a the stores around here to see if they have an antifungal I can use.
ETA: I think he was sick when we received him and as just gotten worse. I'm really hoping "Spiderman" makes it through.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #4 
ABMomma

Is it possible the BettaFix caused his breathing issue? Or would it just be from whatever else is wrong with him?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #5 
Lizzie the Badger

We do not recommend using anything with the ending "-fix", BettaFix, from what I heard can harm their lybrinth organ.

You need a heater, the temperature they are most comfortable with is 75-84 F. I'm not sure what that would be in Celsius...

I wish I could be of more help. A more experienced member will pop up. Godd luck!
Lizzie the Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #6 
LittleFish2012

No, BettaFix would not cause him problems. Honestly, I think bettaFix is mostly for external damage or symptoms, like fin rot or open wounds. It is probably not doing a lot for him.
It wouldn't surprise me if you got him that way. A lot of pet stores really don't take care of their bettas too well...
In the meantime, I would try Epsom salt in place of aquarium salt. I kid you not- they work wonders (brought my bettas back from the brink of death with them). If you want to try it, I suggest 1-2tsp/gal. Let it dissolve first before adding it.
I also second the need for warmer waters. Try between 24-28 C (assuming I did the calculations right...) It will help him heal.
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote