Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #50221 
purplemuffin

Mo, they are all so gorgeous. I didn't realize you were in Texas. I'm in Texas as well! What part? We're from DFW.

@_@ dealing with a sick fish is such stress. been monitoring the rest of the sorority for any signs of them catching the fungal infection. So far nothing, but yikes...
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #50222 
dramaqueen
Banned

We've been living off of soup the last few days.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #50223 
eaturbyfill

Oh lawd. Two out of the four male rescue platys I adopted.. Aren't boys.

I noticed their bellies have been swollen, and lightened up on feeding. No signs of illness, or odd behavior. But I just looked up a picture on how to sex them. Aaand. I'm pretty sure they're girls. Hrm. If I tell my husband he'll try to save the fry, lol. Either way, time to look up platy pregnancy. THIS is why I never wanted livebearers. I wouldn't feel as bad if it were eggs getting eaten.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM   #50224 
Sakura8

Elizabeth, did you google male and female platies to see the difference? That way you can tell for sure that they are pregnant females and not bloated males. As for the fry, oh trust me, if you try to keep all the fry you'll have to get a 150gal and then some.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #50225 
eaturbyfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Elizabeth, did you google male and female platies to see the difference? That way you can tell for sure that they are pregnant females and not bloated males. As for the fry, oh trust me, if you try to keep all the fry you'll have to get a 150gal and then some.
I figure a lot of them won't make it. o-o I'll tell him only to save a few.

Yeah, I looked at them for a good five minutes. The bloated ones don't have the tube thingy by their butt. Only a fin.

edit: Do you think the other fish would like the snack? It'll make me feel bad, but I can't keep them all.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #50226 
djembekah

how long is swordtail gestation, sakura? i want poppy to pop!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #50227 
Sakura8

Elizabeth, I know a lot of people purposefully keep and breed livebearers to provide a source of life food for their other fish.

Bekah, about a month or so. There's no telling when she could pop but some signs you can look for are if she becomes very still and stays in one place a lot. Also, sometimes if you hold a flashlight up you can see little eyes in the gravid spot. That is the big black spot you see just behind her fat belly.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #50228 
eaturbyfill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Elizabeth, I know a lot of people purposefully keep and breed livebearers to provide a source of life food for their other fish.

Bekah, about a month or so. There's no telling when she could pop but some signs you can look for are if she becomes very still and stays in one place a lot. Also, sometimes if you hold a flashlight up you can see little eyes in the gravid spot. That is the big black spot you see just behind her fat belly.
It seems like it would be healthy, as far as things go. I hope they don't pop before we have something to put them in.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #50229 
djembekah

hmm, if she holds still, i'll look for eyes! she's still pretty active. oh now she's picking at plants at the top of the tank but still swimmy.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #50230 
Sakura8

Elizabeth, if the parents are well fed in my experience the fry can stay in the same tank. After talking to Yuuie about her swordfish, I started keeping all my guppy and swordtail fry in with the parents and no one ever got eaten by their parents. The poor swordtail fry in with my flagfish, on the other hand . . .

Tags
0_o, banana !!, bettathanyou, cornucopia=not yummy, eat the cheese, eyeballs!!!!! 0.o"o.0, i started a trend - maisy, like a thread in a thread, tag bombed!, tag! you're it!, taggy mctaggerson, taggy mctaggerson ii, that is dobby's cheese, throw the cheese