Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #11 
teeneythebetta

The shelter will probably just kill him.
If he's shy, he has no chance at a home.

The best you could do is get him spayed/neutered. Try googling to find a feral/stray cat spay/neuter organization.
We did that for the ferals outside, they came and caught the cat, altered it for free, and released them back.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #12 
misty1477

Poor Sweet Kitty

I have 7 kitties that stay indoors only .... good thing I have a ten-room house They are spoiled rotten ... just like my betta.

PLEASE try to find a NO-KILL shelter. What city/state do you live in? I will try to do some internet-searching for one for you.

I will try to help you ... PM me if you want to.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #13 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
Not necessarily that depends on the rescue group. She would have to go on Petfinder.com and find the groups nearest to her and call them one by one. Maybe one can help, maybe none will help. It's worth a try.

Lots of rescue groups don't have a facility, they work as a group fostering animals in their homes. Some will do TNR. Or at least lend you a trap so you can try and do it for yourself.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #14 
LadyVictorian

Quote:

The best you could do is get him spayed/neutered. Try googling to find a feral/stray cat spay/neuter organization.
We did that for the ferals outside, they came and caught the cat, altered it for free, and released them back.
We did that too after our feral cats ended up having kittens. Our vets run a feral cat program and they fixed all the kittens and adopted them out to homes, they fixed the female and one of the vets thought she was so beautiful she just asked if she could take her home and is now a loved house cat, and the male Cheshire came back with us (is now a house cat though xD) and it works out just well. I really love the program too because if you don't want the cats at your house they find farmers who need barn cats and the farmers can pick up the feral cats who have been altered and give them a nicer home than living outside.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #15 
xShainax

There is a no kill shelter about half an hour away from me but where they keep their cats are horrible
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #16 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
There is a no kill shelter about half an hour away from me but where they keep their cats are horrible
What do you mean by horrible?
I'm just wondering because I volunteer at a no kill shelter and we have about 15 cats in each room, and they make huge messes in that one room pretty quickly, and if we haven't gotten to it and someone comes in, it's embRessing because it looks like we don't take care of the place, people just see stuff at the wrong time.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #17 
xShainax

Quote:
What do you mean by horrible?
I'm just wondering because I volunteer at a no kill shelter and we have about 15 cats in each room, and they make huge messes in that one room pretty quickly, and if we haven't gotten to it and someone comes in, it's embRessing because it looks like we don't take care of the place, people just see stuff at the wrong time.
They have a cat room which has about 30 cats and its dirty. Some cats have been there for 4 years or more and became feral from lack of human interaction
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #18 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
They have a cat room which has about 30 cats and its dirty. Some cats have been there for 4 years or more and became feral from lack of human interaction
Of course, I have not been there nor have I seen the situation for myself, but think about it, 30 cats. 30 cats worth of litter boxes being used. 30 cats knocking over water bowls, 30 cats shedding, there's always a couple cats that throw up, or have a hair ball.
It's not going to be perfectly clean. Of course If it's like animal hoarder dirty, maybe they need to be reported to animal control or something, but it is difficult to keep free-run cat rooms clean.
And I'm a little bit of a clean freak, I've gone home with my arms sore as all crap because I scrubbed the walls of every cat room in the building, all the shelves, it's exhausting it really is.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #19 
registereduser

I'm not on the no-kill bandwagon. I wish I could be but I don't believe there are enough homes. Spay and neuter is the answer. I think stray pregnant cats should be spayed. I'm not fully on the TNR bandwagon either. Unless someone is going to truly care for a colony for their entire existence, it's really not fair to the colony.

If you type your zip code into petfinder.com search you might see some rescue groups you never even knew existed.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

Caring for a wild cat colony can be really cool, my friend is doing it at her house. They got all the adults and kittens fixed and it's almost 25-30 cats strong with BIG trays of cat food and clean water and then they all live in the old abandoned hay barn. There is also a massive cat colony local to me in a garden where some people care for them. The cats are pretty nice too but they won't let you pet them. If that cat is not feral though it needs to go to a real home.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote