Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 
Greekalphabet
New Member
 
Greekalphabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis,MN
Using aquarium salt?

Hi, my new guy just came yesterday and I noticed he has a couple missing scales and some redness on his mouth. I think he had some rough shipping. His mouth does look a little better today, but I was thinking some aquarium salt would be appropriate to prevent infection? I have a four gallon w filtration. I don't know how much to dose the tank or how long to leave it in before a water change. Thanks as always!!
Greekalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior
Member
 
jeremywadejunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekalphabet View Post
Hi, my new guy just came yesterday and I noticed he has a couple missing scales and some redness on his mouth. I think he had some rough shipping. His mouth does look a little better today, but I was thinking some aquarium salt would be appropriate to prevent infection? I have a four gallon w filtration. I don't know how much to dose the tank or how long to leave it in before a water change. Thanks as always!!
Do you have a heater as well? Good temperature (around 78F), clean water, and aquarium salt should help. I use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I've heard that 1 teaspoon per gallon works well too. Mix the salt with the water before adding it to the tank.

The maximum amount of time to expose the fish to aquarium salt is 10 days. Do water changes as normal, just mix aquarium salt with the water you add in, too.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #3 
Aus
Member
 
Aus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia!
^ Good advice.

If he's looking better just with clean water so far, though, and the sore areas seem to have resulted from shipping.. I'd try leaving him with just pristine water and good food after the first day with salt (I use a little - half dose - of salt with all new arrivals on the first day, with some stress guard - it's sort of a habit..).

Salt is a medication, as it were, and stressful on the fish's system. So maybe try just seeing how he does in clean water, and keeping a close eye on him a few days before treating (if necessary).
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #4 
Hassled
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Do you have a heater as well? Good temperature (around 78F), clean water, and aquarium salt should help. I use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I've heard that 1 teaspoon per gallon works well too. Mix the salt with the water before adding it to the tank.

The maximum amount of time to expose the fish to aquarium salt is 10 days. Do water changes as normal, just mix aquarium salt with the water you add in, too.
So after the 10th day do a 100% water change?
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 
Greekalphabet
New Member
 
Greekalphabet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minneapolis,MN
My temp is about 74f...I need to get a new heater and am shopping around. He is looking really perky and is eating well. My tank is pristine and he'll be due for a water change in about four days. I'll keep what you said in mind! Thanks for the advice!
Greekalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 
jeremywadejunior
Member
 
jeremywadejunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekalphabet View Post
My temp is about 74f...I need to get a new heater and am shopping around. He is looking really perky and is eating well. My tank is pristine and he'll be due for a water change in about four days. I'll keep what you said in mind! Thanks for the advice!
A heater that I recently bought (I was looking for a cheap heater), if you need recommendations, was Aqueon's MiniHeater 10 W. It's very small and keeps my water around 80F. It is preset, and unfortunately doesn't have a light to indicate when it's on, but I depend on the thermometer in the tank to tell me that it's working! However, I am happy with it based on it's price ($16) and it's general functionality.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
uses of epsom salt vs. aquarium salt KcSaf Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 9 08-26-2012 02:23 AM
Epsom Salt vs Aquarium Salt ..? wystearya Betta Fish Care 20 05-23-2012 11:48 AM
Aquarium Salt Vs. Plain Canning Salt. luvmybetta Betta Fish Care 10 01-30-2011 03:58 PM
Dropsy~ Epsom salt VS aquarium salt? Cyphus Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 2 05-11-2010 11:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.