Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 
Greekalphabet

Using aquarium salt?

Hi, my new guy just came yesterday and I noticed he has a couple missing scales and some redness on his mouth. I think he had some rough shipping. His mouth does look a little better today, but I was thinking some aquarium salt would be appropriate to prevent infection? I have a four gallon w filtration. I don't know how much to dose the tank or how long to leave it in before a water change. Thanks as always!!
Greekalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekalphabet View Post
Hi, my new guy just came yesterday and I noticed he has a couple missing scales and some redness on his mouth. I think he had some rough shipping. His mouth does look a little better today, but I was thinking some aquarium salt would be appropriate to prevent infection? I have a four gallon w filtration. I don't know how much to dose the tank or how long to leave it in before a water change. Thanks as always!!
Do you have a heater as well? Good temperature (around 78F), clean water, and aquarium salt should help. I use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I've heard that 1 teaspoon per gallon works well too. Mix the salt with the water before adding it to the tank.

The maximum amount of time to expose the fish to aquarium salt is 10 days. Do water changes as normal, just mix aquarium salt with the water you add in, too.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 AM   #3 
Aus

^ Good advice.

If he's looking better just with clean water so far, though, and the sore areas seem to have resulted from shipping.. I'd try leaving him with just pristine water and good food after the first day with salt (I use a little - half dose - of salt with all new arrivals on the first day, with some stress guard - it's sort of a habit..).

Salt is a medication, as it were, and stressful on the fish's system. So maybe try just seeing how he does in clean water, and keeping a close eye on him a few days before treating (if necessary).
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #4 
Hassled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywadejunior View Post
Do you have a heater as well? Good temperature (around 78F), clean water, and aquarium salt should help. I use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon, but I've heard that 1 teaspoon per gallon works well too. Mix the salt with the water before adding it to the tank.

The maximum amount of time to expose the fish to aquarium salt is 10 days. Do water changes as normal, just mix aquarium salt with the water you add in, too.
So after the 10th day do a 100% water change?
Hassled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #5 
Greekalphabet

My temp is about 74f...I need to get a new heater and am shopping around. He is looking really perky and is eating well. My tank is pristine and he'll be due for a water change in about four days. I'll keep what you said in mind! Thanks for the advice!
Greekalphabet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #6 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekalphabet View Post
My temp is about 74f...I need to get a new heater and am shopping around. He is looking really perky and is eating well. My tank is pristine and he'll be due for a water change in about four days. I'll keep what you said in mind! Thanks for the advice!
A heater that I recently bought (I was looking for a cheap heater), if you need recommendations, was Aqueon's MiniHeater 10 W. It's very small and keeps my water around 80F. It is preset, and unfortunately doesn't have a light to indicate when it's on, but I depend on the thermometer in the tank to tell me that it's working! However, I am happy with it based on it's price ($16) and it's general functionality.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote