Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #11 
purplemuffin

She was sharing one with the girls in her sorority. Now I'm temporarily using a reptile heater against the side of her tank.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #12 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
She was sharing one with the girls in her sorority. Now I'm temporarily using a reptile heater against the side of her tank.
Okay! Well, Columnaris tends to flourish in warmer temperatures, so it is recommended to keep the water cooler. If you could have the temp in her tank around 75 F that would be good too
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #13 
purplemuffin

It's about that right now, the heater is only on the small side of the tank. Just didn't want it to drop to the 70 degrees my house is!

Also, as of the end of the night, all the girls appear as active as usual. No signs of fuzzies thus far. Did a big giant water change anyway.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #14 
jeremywadejunior

Good. And Columnaris, from what I read, is pretty contagious, so you may want to go ahead and treat the water in your community tank, too.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #15 
purplemuffin

Mmm great, doesn't that stuff kill plants, though? Looks like I'm buying six more hospital tanks... Can't lose the sorority plants.

And I was asking which specific maracyn do you suggest? The 1+2 combo or plus?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #16 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Mmm great, doesn't that stuff kill plants, though? Looks like I'm buying six more hospital tanks... Can't lose the sorority plants.

And I was asking which specific maracyn do you suggest? The 1+2 combo or plus?
Awh, bummer. Or you can just wait to see before treating them. Really your call.
Oh, I would say the plus; I read what Mardel says about it and it sounded convincing to me. I'm going to buy that one if the store has it in stock and if not, I'll go for the Maracyn 2. They both sound good, though.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 AM   #17 
purplemuffin

Alright. I know I've seen the plus in our store before, I'll pick it up when I get there. I actually get off work at 1pm tomorrow, so we'll see how they do til then. Double checked the girls again--no fuzzy mouths, no fin clamping, big appetites, not pale. So we will see if it stays that way tomorrow morning and if Felicia is alive and hanging in there.

Oh maracyn, we meet again. I used this when I tried to save Di from whatever that mystery bacterial disease was that ailed him. Sadly didn't end up helping, whatever it was just was too powerful. Hopefully this will be better. If not, sorry girl.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #18 
purplemuffin

Still alive this morning. No fungus regrowth as of yet. Found her near the surface of the water swimming slowly. Currently the only fungus is in her mouth. Belly still red.

Girls all still acting normal, though may take out one girl who has been super stressed out, don't want her immune system dropping and her ending up catching and spreading it.

edit: got a closer look, nvm. Her whole body is covered in light fuzz. ._.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-06-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #19 
purplemuffin

Sadly, she didn't make it til I got home from work. At least now I have some extra medication in stock if this ever happens again.

And again, the rest of the girls are doing just fine. Eating well, active, no fuzz.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #20 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Sadly, she didn't make it til I got home from work. At least now I have some extra medication in stock if this ever happens again.

And again, the rest of the girls are doing just fine. Eating well, active, no fuzz.
Awh, I'm sorry! Sounds like this infection struck really fast though and you did what you could.

I'm glad the other girls look good. Now you have the medication, just in case, though.