Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #11 
Aus

Quote:
He really is a fish of many firsts. My first jumper, my first nervous wreck, my first bubble nester, my first slime coat slougher, my first plakat, my first slime coat slougher. Did I mention that when he's nervous he sloughs off his slime coat? I'm going to have to keep an eye on that.
ROFL!

You mentioned Steve's habit of staring earlier.. the strohi do that! Cotton is the worst for it, she swims right up to the front of the tank, hovers and studies me hard, like I'm an alien. But it's funnier when all five get together in a group and do that:

((><)) ((><)) ((><)) ((><)) ((><))

Kind of freaks Daughter out, haha.

Glad to hear Mr. G is settling in well! He sounds like a riot (of slime..)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #12 
birdielikestomatoes

A riot of slime is right! I'm still having trouble getting him to eat, if he doesn't spot the food right away then he's back at the back of the tank and won't come back up. It's so frustrating.

Steve sometimes freaks me out with his incessant staring, it's usually the first thing I see in the morning. As soon as I even move he bursts over to me and wants food.

Six bettas? I don't know how you do it. I love my four but I don't want anymore at the moment. I think I'm kind of the opposite, I don't mind water changes, and they do have a sort of relaxing quality about it, but I don't love it. I do like aquascaping though. Once I have the tank how I like it I don't usually touch it for awhile.

Anyway, updates! Tribble, my darling, darling, doggypoo, has the most sensitive stomach ever. Aside from kibble she can barely eat anything else as it will give her pure diarrhea. I can't even begin to explain just how proficient I've become at shampooing her butt. *sigh*

I try so hard to keep her from eating anything she's not allowed to but when you're living with a two year who likes to make sure everyone has food when she does it can be hard sometimes.

So for the past two days I've been dealing with her having diarrhea as well as having a night of her puking like crazy. I absolutely hate seeing her not well. I don't sleep, I barely eat. My whole being is dedicated to making her feel better when she isn't well. It's horrible. But she's feeling better today!

I always talk about my sister, but I just realized I never posted a picture of the little monster. So here she is. She may be cute but don't let that fool you. She is also a sponge when it comes to words, I've never met a tot that picks up words so quickly. She's even started on basic sentences. AT TWO.

The little monster has a cold at the moment, guess who caught it? I woke up this morning with my nose all bunged up and my throat feels like it's on fire. I've talked to my doctor about this (this being my exceptionally large tonsils) but the stupid man doesn't really listen, he just prescribes stuff.

birdielikestomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #13 
Bettanewbie60

Omgosh, she is a doll! Too bad about the cold..I hope both you and the pooch feel better quickly! I hate when my dogs are sick...I've been lucky lately, all three are doing well!
Bettanewbie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #14 
birdielikestomatoes

Don't let her fool you! She is pure evil, I know it.

Anyway, it's been awhile since I posted last. My doggie turned 7 on the 4th. :( I have since banned her from aging any more. We didn't do much, me and her just cuddled on the couch, what's new? Of course I gave in whenever she wanted a rub and my hand was quite cramped by the night. I also made her some dog cookies, very very simple dog cookies. The recipe is here:

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/peanu...it-recipe.html

She absolutely loved them! And they didn't cause her to have mushy poopies! YAY! That recipe made so many though, I gave some to a couple of neighbors.

(Did I also mention that was my first time using an oven on my own? It was. I am no longer the pathetic 17 year old who never baked anything ever. Woot.)

The fishies are doing great, I don't really have anything to report on them. I did tease them a little with a little stuffed shark toy. I finally found out what scares Hilda. Steve didn't like it at first but then he was begging for food within seconds. Mr. G flared at it before retreating to the back. And Eugeney, my little floozy, colored up all nicely and started wiggling and showing off her fins. That girl will flirt with anything male, even if they are toy sharks.

I'm also starting to plan for my future. Just saying that makes my chest tighten and I start to freak out. I have severe anxiety and depression. They're so bad that I actually dropped out of school because of them. >_< I've been working on controlling it, but I haven't had much success.

Anyway, I've decided that I NEED to get a license. I'd to get it by the end of the year so that when I turn 18 I can off to grooming school. Grooming is just something I find so intriguing, I've been studying it a lot lately and I'm sure that I want that to be one of professions. My high school education will wait until later, I am no where near ready to deal with that right now.

I'm going to stop blabbering about my many issues now.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #15 
birdielikestomatoes

So it's been awhile..

I haven't died, I promise. The reason I haven't been posting lately on my journal is just because nothing has been going on.

The fish have just been doing their things. I had to redo the girls' divider because the store bought one wasn't letting water filter through, so Hilda's side was getting all nasty and stale. So I went out and got some crafting mesh. However even though I've done this I'm still not completely happy with the results. But it's much better than before.

Steve has well, been Steve. Just swimming around awkwardly and staring at me if I make even the slightest movement. He's still biting his tail though. I've tried doing what people on here suggested and moved his decor around whenever I did water changes but that just seemed to stress him out. He didn't tail bite when he was still in a vase (sorry Steve. ). Then again when he was in a vase he didn't do much at all but float around at the top. So therefor I believe his tail biting is due to him just wanting to be able to swim around more. Which he does, all the time now.

Mr G is an ungrateful little fishy. He has gotten into the habit of flaring at me full on right after I feed him, gills and all! I have a theory though! Mr G just feels embarrassed and ashamed that I, a woman, am providing him with sustenance. He feels his manliness dwindling as he eats each pellet so he must prove to me that he is still strong and manly though I feed him. Or maybe I'm just over thinking things.

Anyway what I came on here for: Today I decided to do a photo shoot. You know, why not? I placed Steve and Hilda (Mr G was an original choice but he decided that he was not going anywhere.) into wine glasses and took them onto the porch so that I would have plenty of natural light. Only it turned out that I had too much natural light and I couldn't even see my camera screen so I had no idea what any of my pictures were like. Turns out there was only one out of the twenty or so I took out there that I actually liked. So I brought them in and returned Hilda because she was beginning to stress out.

Steve however. Well he had another photo sessions. Well you'll see in the pictures I post. Let's just say I wouldn't do what I did unless you are absolutely sure that your dog will not cause the fish harm.

I'll post the pictures in a second post.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #16 
birdielikestomatoes

Why yes that is a dog drinking from his cup xD

Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #17 
Kira and Cleoh

I love working on tanks only because I CANNOT stand it if My fish's home isnt perfect..
Kira and Cleoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #18 
birdielikestomatoes

I hate it when they aren't perfect either. I just hate how much water gets everywhere when you do work on them. Of course I'm terrible and usually forget to lower the water until after I've working with the water up to my elbows.

I really want to redo Steve's tank, I don't like the gravel nor do I like how he has no decor besides silk plants. I've found some cute ornaments on the petsmart website, I'm thinking of ordering them.

Mr Grumpy also needs a hiding place in his tank. For now he just has a red plastic cup but I don't like the way it looks and neither does my mom. I've left it up to her to choose something for the tank, but she's being really slow on it.

Ah well. I'm glad you stopped by!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #19 
Aus

BAHAHA! That last picture:

STEVE: "You're just lucky you don't fit in my mouth, Fido."

Those brought a smile to my day, they really did. And omg, cute little sistermonster! My daughter was like that, so quick to pick up words and string them together. Now she never shuts up. (ducks the smack I'll get when she reads this)

Glad to hear things are going well for you and fish and everyone. Got your license yet? :D
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #20 
birdielikestomatoes

Haha, I know. I swear that boy would eat anything if I let him. I'm sure that Tribble would have gotten a nipped tongue if I'd let her take more than one lick. I just worried that the water conditioner wouldn't be good for her if she had much more. That stuff really seems to dry out my hands so I really didn't want her ingesting it.

Steve was really unfazed by the whole ordeal, I even took him upstairs after the pictures so that Nummie could see 'daddy fish.' Once she saw what I had in the glass she just kept going "Daddy fish in there! Daddy fish in there! Mom, mom daddy fish in there!" It was pretty funny but I didn't stay up there long as I wanted to return Steve to his tank. Which of course once he was in he swam straight towards his feeding corner and started begging. I don't think anything else goes through his pretty blue head.

I'm glad that they made you smile though! Tell Daughter not to smack you too hard! :P

I haven't gotten my license yet, things progress slowly in this household, especially when my dad is involved. I'm sure it'll take a few more months until he finally gets round to enrolling me. Although learning to drive when it's snowing could be for the best. I plan to move to Alaska when I've gathered the means. Have I mentioned I really hate cars? I do, I really do, but I'll have to get one eventually if I don't want to be dependent on others for rides around.

I just realized how much I tend to blather on in this thread, and about small things no less! :) It's nice to have a place to just ramble though.

Anyway Aus, I'm going to stop by your thread later on. I've only been skimming through all the recent posts and I'm eager to know how you're getting on in your new home. :)