Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #11 
Sakura8

So . . . 180ppm would be 18 if it was the API test . . . yes, that's hard water all right. Surprising your pH isn't higher. I wouldn't worry about the pH though, mine is actually 7.8 and everyone does fine. They'll most likely adjust to the parameters without problems. Only time really hard water is a problem is if you have crowntails. They're super sensitive to water hardness and it tends to curl their fins. But Comet and Celestia should be okay.

The ammo chips will help and I think . . . yeah, I told you about Seachem Prime, right? That will also help. However, if worse comes to worst and the ammonia becomes uncontrollable, you can always consider an R/O unit or mixing bottled water half tap, half bottled.

Another thing that could really help the ammonia is putting lots of floating plants in. Those suck up ammonia, so plants like duckweed, salvinia, dwarf water lettuce, frogbit . . . all would help.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #12 
Leopardfire

Thanks for the idea on the floating plants. I think I will definatly do that. I gave Comet a 25% water change with the prime so hopefully that and the ammo chips will keep his ammonia down. Do you think I should get a water softener pillow? Do you think it might lower the ph a little too?
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #13 
Sakura8

You can try a water softener pillow. One thing that I've heard about those is they soften the water using water softening salts. Some people say that the salt that is left behind in the water is very unhealthy for the fish. I don't know, personally. I use water that is softened by a water softener in the garage and we actually had the water tested to see what the sodium level was and it was below normal levels . . . *shrugs* I'm not sure. You can certainly try it and see if it helps. Might try googling to water softener pillows to see what people have said about them.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #14 
sunlight

I also think if you can keep temperature lower then 80*. The warmer is the temperature the more chance of the infection. 76-80* is the acceptable temperature.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #15 
Leopardfire

I've read that both raising and lowering the temp can help. I just bought a heater and it's at 80, but what is the best temp for fin rot? I've heard both so I'm not really sure.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #16 
maciveli23

maciveli23

hmm its fin rot for sure i had a veiltail and it got fin rot a lot so i no what it looks like so heres what you do about treating it make a 25% water change ad one teaspoon of salt and make more water changes every other day and that is what you do no medicine needed just aquarium salt and fresh water.
maciveli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #17 
Leopardfire

Thanks maciveli23. About how long did it take for you to see an improvement in your betta? Also, how long was it before he was fully cured. I'm really having trouble telling if my betta is getting better or not.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #18 
ANHEL123

i would say 76 would be perfect. Higher temp make bacteria spread faster.
Usually with salt treatment you need to do 100% daily water changes though.It just Leopardfire water has ammonia in it that is why i am not sure what to do. And you guys was trying to figure out it....So if you water is fine you really need to do daily water changes with salt treatment no longer than 10-13 days.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #19 
Leopardfire

I tried moving him to a small QT tank and doing daily water changes but it made his fins worse because I was moving him from a cycled 10 gallon to an uncycled 3 gallon with 1ppm ammonia already in it from the tap water. I added salt, but because the ammonia was so high, it didn't help. I now have ammo chips and prime to help keep the ammonia down in the 10 gallon since it's not cycled any more. While it's not at complete 0, it is pretty low (about 0.02ppm) which I'm hoping is okay. I will be starting my 2nd dose of triple sulfa tonight to try to finish off any infection. I will also try lowering the temp to 76.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM   #20 
ANHEL123

Sakura knows better about water. I just hope that ammo chips and prime can help to lower ammonia.
I was wondering if you can have big container where you can make aged water with ammo chips added and prime so ammonia can go down and then change them? Not sure if it stupid idea though. It just better when you do more water changes. I always use aged water only because it more convenient for me. I am driving my husband crazy to keep gallons of water but with time he got used to it.

And about salt. How you know it did't help and get worse? If he has something it will get worse on it own with or without salt. And salt can help only if it right duration and right dosage.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, tail biting