Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #11 
cjz96

I would bump water changes to every day and add a tannin source. Naturally fallen oak leaves from outside. Make sure they're brown and crunchy. I usually add between 10-20 oak leaves per gallon. Let the leaves steep until the water turns a week tea color. Does he seem to be rubbing or scratching on plants or decor?
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #12 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjz96 View Post
I would bump water changes to every day and add a tannin source. Naturally fallen oak leaves from outside. Make sure they're brown and crunchy. I usually add between 10-20 oak leaves per gallon. Let the leaves steep until the water turns a week tea color. Does he seem to be rubbing or scratching on plants or decor?
Not so much rubbing/scratching as it is he just lays on/in them and then suddently darts to the other side of the tank.

Luckily, I actually have an oak tree right in my back yard and leaves should start falling from it soon :D I'll pick up a few of them, should I crunch them up though, since it's a small tank?
RabidAliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #13 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidAliver View Post
Not so much rubbing/scratching as it is he just lays on/in them and then suddently darts to the other side of the tank.

Luckily, I actually have an oak tree right in my back yard and leaves should start falling from it soon :D I'll pick up a few of them, should I crunch them up though, since it's a small tank?
It's your choice. You can crunch some and lay a few in there for him to pick at. I usually get a seperate gallon, steep the leaves, add the steeped water to the tank and just add a couple whole leaves in the tank. Is it possible you can post a pic?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #14 
RabidAliver

Quote:
It's your choice. You can crunch some and lay a few in there for him to pick at. I usually get a seperate gallon, steep the leaves, add the steeped water to the tank and just add a couple whole leaves in the tank. Is it possible you can post a pic?
No, sadly. Unfortunately the camera I have is crap on top of the fact that he swims away and hides behind his (unused) filter as soon as you put it up to attempt to get a picture. All I know is when I look at him under a flashlight he only seems to be duller, but there's no gold dust-ish looking stuff on him that resembles velvet (which fits in almost perfectly with his symptoms aside from the dust), no little white dots, or any of that.

But I'll take your advice on the oak leaves and water changes at least :D Would a 1 gallon pitcher of water be good enough to steep the leaves in as I don't have another 1 gallon tank?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #15 
cjz96

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidAliver View Post
No, sadly. Unfortunately the camera I have is crap on top of the fact that he swims away and hides behind his (unused) filter as soon as you put it up to attempt to get a picture. All I know is when I look at him under a flashlight he only seems to be duller, but there's no gold dust-ish looking stuff on him that resembles velvet (which fits in almost perfectly with his symptoms aside from the dust), no little white dots, or any of that.

But I'll take your advice on the oak leaves and water changes at least :D Would a 1 gallon pitcher of water be good enough to steep the leaves in as I don't have another 1 gallon tank?
See if the tannin and water changes help. Put him in a calm place in your house and shut any tank lights off. You can also put plastic wrap on the top of his tank to keep the humidity and warm air in there for him. I would also try to order a test kit. You can buy them pretty cheap online. If not, I would PM Sakura8 or Oldfishlady. Yes, you can just use a pitcher. I do the same thing.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #16 
RabidAliver

Quote:
See if the tannin and water changes help. Put him in a calm place in your house and shut any tank lights off. You can also put plastic wrap on the top of his tank to keep the humidity and warm air in there for him. I would also try to order a test kit. You can buy them pretty cheap online. If not, I would PM Sakura8 or Oldfishlady. Yes, you can just use a pitcher. I do the same thing.
Well luckily the calm place and no tank lights bit is already taken care of, all I need is go out tomorrow morning (since it's night here right now) and look for a few oak leaves and change the water out more. The test kit will have to wait though, gotta wait until next time I get paid for it, unfortunately. Hopefully the oak leaves will be all I need to fix the problem, though. Would it be fine to rinse them under tap water to clean them off before steeping them, though? (I have two dogs that use my back yard where the only oak tree on my street is, and I don't wanna take a chance of there being urine on the leaves ^^;)
Old 10-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #17 
cjz96

Lol. Yeah, it's fine. :) Just make sure the water isn't too hot. If it's too hot, it will kill off some of the healing properties.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #18 
RabidAliver

Quote:
Lol. Yeah, it's fine. :) Just make sure the water isn't too hot. If it's too hot, it will kill off some of the healing properties.
Alright :D I've never used oak leaves for fish before so I didn't know what is/isn't safe
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #19 
RabidAliver

So I've done the water change and added the oak leaves. However, he looks worse today than he did yesterday D: After I did the change I noticed there were some really visible stress stripes on him, but I haven't messed with his tank or anything until now. I don't know what to do, he hasn't come up much for air between today and yesterday, it's almost as if he can't swim normally at all
Old 10-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #20 
RabidAliver

Does anyone know what's going on and have more suggestions? I'll try to get some pictures I got with my phone up soon!

Last edited by RabidAliver; 10-07-2012 at 01:50 PM.