Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #11 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Put the girl in the 2.5g because my experience has been that girls are a bit more active. Then when you add her to your sorority, you can put the boy there and keep the 1 g as a hospital/QT tank.
Thanks. That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure.
crowntaillove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #12 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntaillove View Post
i have read the sticky. That's why i started a new thread to ask if 4 females is okay, or if members would recommend i get more from their experiences.

Is there any particular reason why i have to cycle a sorority, or is it just something you recommend?
the tank will cycle regardless if you add your girls now. The debate lies in whether to do it fish-in or fishless. With fish-in you have to be vigilant of water changes so that you dont stress your fish, which are your source of ammonia. With fishless you use an external source of ammonia and can use a higher concentration thereby cycling faster, in theory anyway.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #13 
BettaQi

With fish in, their gills will get burned and they will be uncomfortable.

I would wait and cycle the tank with ammonia from True Value or Ace Hardware.
BettaQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #14 
Foofykitty

I just added my girls all together last weekend....i tried going from least agressive up, but the girls i thought wouldn't be ended up being kinda nasty.....so i more quickly added the others.....if i was to do it again i might try just putting them in all at once, then they aren't one on one so much, if that makes any sense, lol.
Foofykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #15 
crowntaillove

What i'm really curious about is why I have to cycle my tank. If it's an issue of water changes, I really don't mind doing them. However, if it's an issue of the fish being overly stressed by having to reclaim their terriories each time I change the water, then I'd understand.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #16 
Halfmoon

I appreciate the info I got two hm in there now I'd like 3 more when I get the tank more planted cant wait to see how they all interact with each other
Halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #17 
Halfmoon

You have to cycle tank bc it clears out the water once you condition it
Halfmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #18 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's not likely you'll be able to safely keep up with the ammonia produced by a sorority. You'd actually have to do 100% changes and tank cleanings to avoid cycling. Failing that, your tank will cycle naturally. But with the bioload from 6 fish, your ammonia might be uncontrolable.

Better you should cycle your tank under control. Fishless is faster and safer as Freyja suggests. As Betta Qi says, use pure ammonia, that does NOT foam when shaken, as the ammonia source.

Try to get live nitrifying bacteria from an established, cycled aquarium. Or you might have success with Tetra Safestart, Dr Tim's One-and-Only, TLC Smartstart or some nitrifying bacteria available commercially.

A secure cycle will likely take from one to two weeks if you can get bacteria; one to two months otherwise.

Remember: cycling is not for the convenience of the keeper, but for the health and safety of the fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #19 
crowntaillove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
It's not likely you'll be able to safely keep up with the ammonia produced by a sorority. You'd actually have to do 100% changes and tank cleanings to avoid cycling. Failing that, your tank will cycle naturally. But with the bioload from 6 fish, your ammonia might be uncontrolable.

Better you should cycle your tank under control. Fishless is faster and safer as Freyja suggests. As Betta Qi says, use pure ammonia, that does NOT foam when shaken, as the ammonia source.

Try to get live nitrifying bacteria from an established, cycled aquarium. Or you might have success with Tetra Safestart, Dr Tim's One-and-Only, TLC Smartstart or some nitrifying bacteria available commercially.

A secure cycle will likely take from one to two weeks if you can get bacteria; one to two months otherwise.

Remember: cycling is not for the convenience of the keeper, but for the health and safety of the fish.

Cool, I appreciate the info. I guess I'll start tomorrow!