Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #1 
normang

long strand coming out of betta

hi, a friend recently gave me this betta as he was moving away. the betta came to me with fin rot and fungus. i have been dosing him with maracyn for several days and it is clearing up. he seems healthier and more active than he was when i got him. however today i noticed this large thick strand coming out of him. it is slightly brownish in color and bunches up at the end. it has stayed the same length for at least three hours. the fish is sluggish and not hungry. my guess is constipation, but i don't know for sure as i have never seen this before. what is this and what can i do about it?

normang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

That seems to be... Crap. In other words, poo. Lol. His fins seem to be clamped.. Fill out the questions sticky on this sub-forum please, it will help the situation.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yep thats poop and its a good sign that its brownish .
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 
normang

Housing
What size is your tank? he is in a one gallon hospital tank and has been since i got him.
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees f
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes, there is a small in water heater
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? seven or eight pellets twice a day. i do not know how often he ate before i got him

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every four days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? all
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner/dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? i have not tested the water

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his fins are clamped and the poop is stuck there
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is sluggish and not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? around five hours ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? he has already been receiving maracyn for rot and fungus
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, when i got him he had a bad fungal infection and bad fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? i do not know
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

Looks like a little poo to me too. Will he flare? Sometimes getting them a little riled up helps speed up the potty process it seems. All that active swimming just wiggles everything in just the right way I guess, LOL!

Good luck, I hope he feels better. His fins look clamped indeed so he definitely doesn't feel well anyway!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:40 PM   #6 
normang

if this is poop, i assume i'll just have to wait? there probably isn't anything i can do to make it come out faster. he only started clamping his fins this morning too so that is probably due to the poop being stuck (it can't be comfortable). he hasn't flared since i got him but always swims up and wiggles around. today he isn't doing that

Last edited by normang; 10-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

Try getting him to flare a little bit, it tends to help push things out a bit faster. Maybe fast him for just a little bit.

How small are your pellets?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #8 
normang

they are pretty small. he is a petco "king betta" so they are easy for him to eat but he does tend to eat two or three at a time. i will try getting him to flare. thanks for your advice!
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #9 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

The first time I saw the brownish strand coming out of Perseus my betta is scared me I didnt know what it was. That it is brown is a good sign cause if they have parasites the poop will look clear or whitish. Good luck with getting him to flare that should help.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #10 
normang

it has been about 12 hours and it is still not coming out. he is staying near the top and breathong a lot. i will see how he is in the morning. i cannot get him to flare and short of putting a net in and pushing him, i can't get him to move at all. if he is still like this in the morning, what should i do? he bumped into the heater and most of the poop fell off but there is still some stuck in there.