Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #21 
Lisa1010

That is a cool video lelei, I have never seen a fish lay an egg before! Thank you for sharing!

Ella, I feed my betta everyday except the one to two days that I thought I should let her fast as her tummy was big. I am happy to say she is happy and healthy so I must be doing alright with her so far!

Thanks again lelei for the video!

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:27 PM   #22 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa1010 View Post
Um...females lay eggs without a mate??? Tell me not all females do this, please! I don't know what I would do if mine started laying eggs. I'm still too new to this. Ugh...going to take a look at her now and have a talk!

Lisa

Some do but most end up eating them after laying them, or they absorb them. I had a female that never layed eggs, her body just absorbed them.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #23 
Perry the platypus

How do you fertilize them?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #24 
Perry the platypus

I want to have betta eggs.
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #25 
BettaHeart

its the male that fertilizes the eggs to get betta fry.... i dont think you can do anything about that XD
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #26 
Lisa1010

Guess who laid some eggs today while I was cleaning out her tank? It was only one or two and she laid them while in her cup.

I went to the store today and get her a new heater, hammock, and floating mirror toy. So I came home and emptied out her tank and cleaned everything in it, and her tank looked really clean before I dumped it to clean it out.

After cleaning everything I added back the gravel and the decorations and her plants, then I put back her little filter but then I had a hard time figuring out where to put her heater. It is a 7.5 watt that doesn't seem to be a particular brand. The fish guy at the store recommended it and said that it would be strong enough to keep her warm. If it isn't warm by tomorrow night then I am taking it back. It takes 24 hours to cycle, that is what the package said anyway.

After figuring out where to put it and position it in the tank I put in her hammock and then added her back to the tank.

The first thing she did was investigate the new heater. Just like she did with the filter when I first put it in, she had to go over and touch it with her mouth and then rub up against it. I know they can't get burned by the heater, but I still wish she would leave it alone!

Anyway, all that to say I saw her lay her "first" egg (well at least that I know of) and I wasn't bothered by it at all! In fact when I realized what it was I was amazed and had my room mate take a look too!

But, thanks for the warning! I am happy I knew what could happen before it did happen!

Lisa
Lisa1010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, eggs, female, mother, strange