Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #1 
jeremywadejunior

Please recommend treatment! Thank you!

With all the medications and options out there, I'm finding it overwhelming to find out how to treat my fish.

Two of them that are sharing a divided tank are suspected to have Columnaris. They are in a heated hospital tank; the water has 1/2 teaspoon aquarium salt per gallon and I am preforming 100% water changes every day.

Can someone recommend a treatment method? Anyone have experience with this stuff that can give me input?

Thanks a bunch, guys.

Also, here is a photo of the evidence. I haven't seen any growths on my fish's fins, but this keeps appearing at the bottom of their tank:

jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #2 
LittleFish2012

Oh dear!
First off, make sure they are completely quarantined if not already. Columnaris is a flexibacter and is very contagious.
You will want an antibiotic that will combat this type of bacteria. I think you need something that covers a wide-spectrum.
I personally believe kanamycin-sulfate is the best for this (a.k.a. KanaPlex) and should result in the least amount of side effects.
Tetracycline is also supposed to work, although I've never used it.
Spectrogram should work as well.
For my bacterial problems, I use Maracyn plus, BUT I don't think it's specifically good for flexibacter.
Also, keep the water temp elevated like you are now. That is definitely key. I don't think the salts hurt to have either, although I use Epsom salt instead of aquarium salt. (But that's just my opinion for something like this).

Hope that helped some, and good luck! :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #3 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFish2012 View Post
Oh dear!
First off, make sure they are completely quarantined if not already. Columnaris is a flexibacter and is very contagious.
You will want an antibiotic that will combat this type of bacteria. I think you need something that covers a wide-spectrum.
I personally believe kanamycin-sulfate is the best for this (a.k.a. KanaPlex) and should result in the least amount of side effects.
Tetracycline is also supposed to work, although I've never used it.
Spectrogram should work as well.
For my bacterial problems, I use Maracyn plus, BUT I don't think it's specifically good for flexibacter.
Also, keep the water temp elevated like you are now. That is definitely key. I don't think the salts hurt to have either, although I use Epsom salt instead of aquarium salt. (But that's just my opinion for something like this).

Hope that helped some, and good luck! :)
Thank you!

I went to the store today and bought some Maracyn-Oxy. I have added it to the water, and will keep using it for 5 days, as it says not to exceed this time period. Says it works "for the treatment and control of the symptoms associated with common bacterial, fungal and viral infections of fresh and saltwater fish". Hoping that includes whatever my fish have?
Old 10-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

If that doesn't work, you can try Jungle Fungus Cure, I had that clear up dropsy and some *nasty* columnaris that took out several of my fish before I could find the right meds. :)

Good luck to you!!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 
jeremywadejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
If that doesn't work, you can try Jungle Fungus Cure, I had that clear up dropsy and some *nasty* columnaris that took out several of my fish before I could find the right meds. :)

Good luck to you!!
Thank you! If they don't look better after the 5 days I'll look into that!