Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #1 
LebronTheBetta

Grades of IAL/Ketapang/Catappa

Do the grades of the IAL really matter? I'm going to be asking my parents if I can buy them. (Boy, I really want my own Paypal!!) There's a bunch of IAL from Amy in Singapore and she has so many kinds!! The deals are great as well. I'm also wondering if my filter will have anything to do with the released tannins. I'm going to rescue some of my sorority girls so that will help as well. To some it up...
- Do the grade of the leaves really matter?
- Does my filter interfere with the tannins what so ever? (Sponge Filter)

My mom says she won't buy them but lets see how that goes.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:41 AM   #2 
logisticsguy

I actually had better success with the lowest grade of IAL. Much cheaper too. The sponge filter will do just fine with the tannins. Sponge filters are great. I rinse mine every 2nd day...the muck that rinses out of it is amazing. I try to use both a HOB and sponge filter in all my tanks as well as a pre filter on the intake of the HOBs. They back each other up and imo you can never have enough filtration.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:47 AM   #3 
kfryman

Nope, C or D grade are much better for your money. There really isn't much of a difference besides that A and B are all whole leaves and look really good. Heck C looks great.

Get the smallest C grade. At that price with free shipping it can't be beat, besides the one for much more...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #4 
babystarz

I always buy grade C as well, there is no difference in the leaf chemistry or the quality of tannins. Grading is purely based on the superficial appearance of the leaves. Grade A and B have no cracks in them, so they float longer, but they can still capsize.

I doubt your filter will affect the tannins, I use IAL in tanks that have carbon filters and tanks that don't and they look the same to me.

Amy is a great person to buy from and I know she gives good deals to repeat customers :)
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Oh OK! I guess I'll get grade C then. Since there isn't really a difference with the released tannins, I'll get the cheapest ones from Amy!! xD Nah, I'll just get the best deal for the quanity. It should at least be a C then!

Thanks guys! God, I love this forum. (;
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, and I also have another question regarding the IAL and my filter...

Since the IAL will lower my pH, will that effect my cycled filter..? I heard that if the pH is less than 7.0, the ammonia turns into ammonium and then there isn't food for my bacteria and they'll starve.