Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 AM   #31 
SirGrizz

Yea I have heard that twice now. So API Melafix and Pimafix are a no go? I saw that a lot of people used them successfully and I had used the Melafix and the finnage looked nice after a few days.
SirGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 AM   #32 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGrizz View Post
Yea I have heard that twice now. So API Melafix and Pimafix are a no go? I saw that a lot of people used them successfully and I had used the Melafix and the finnage looked nice after a few days.
Using that stuff is really playing with fire. Lots of people have had fish die because of it but if it's a risk you are willing to take then they are your fish not mine. Personally I would never use that crap on my fish, risking it's just not worth their health.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 AM   #33 
SirGrizz

Interesting, what component in it harms them? I have heard that using them deplets oxygen in the water so I always used a low dosage and never treated as often as it says on the bottle....something crazy like 5ml a day for 7 days
Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #34 
LadyVictorian

I think it's actually one of the oils in it, can't recall which one it is, OldFishLady will know. It pretty much just damages the labyrinth organ though and without that a betta can not breath. They don't breath with gills under water like other fish, they have to get oxygen from the surface like a whale or dolphin.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #35 
SirGrizz

Thanks a lot for the heads up!

What do you recommend to treat slightly torn finnage?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #36 
LadyVictorian

For torn finage aquarium salt (1 tablespoon per gallon) plus stress coat works WONDERS on my boy. He ripped his fin and I treated him on stress coat and a tiny bit of AS and his fins are fully healed.

Edit: Oh and of course warm clean water and lots of mosquito larva help too.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #37 
LionCalie

It is the Melaleuca oil (an antiseptic) in Melafix/Bettafix that is harmful to Bettas.

For torn finnage I usually use IAL (Indian Almond Leaf) and a bit of Aquarium Salt along with warm clean water.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #38 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
For torn finage aquarium salt (1 tablespoon per gallon) plus stress coat works WONDERS on my boy. He ripped his fin and I treated him on stress coat and a tiny bit of AS and his fins are fully healed.

Edit: Oh and of course warm clean water and lots of mosquito larva help too.

It's actually 1 teaspoon per gallon. 1 tablespoon is TOO much! That's like the measurement for 5 gallons! :o
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote