Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #11 
prosthetik

Oh ok, yeah I didnt want to leave the blue light on overnight but wasnt sure if I had to.

With the 4.5 gallon tank with a filter, how often should I be changing the water now?

How can I find out what type of Betta he is? Is there any good sites sthat show the different types, or anywhere on here?
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #12 
Laki

With a 4.5 running a filter you'll need to change the water twice a week (about half the tank each time) for about a month. Once your tank cycles (this is when all the ammonia in the tank getting eaten up by filter baddies and put back into the water as nitrites so there is a reading of 0 ammonia on a test)>> http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107771 This is a helpful guide on cycling.

After that is done, you can change the water once a week. Mine is a 5 gallon cycled tank. I have a nasty algae bloom which my nerites are too dumb and slow to keep in check so I need to scrub it twice. With a cycled tank you will never clean the entire tank 100% because the cycle will crash. You scrub the glass and decorations and always only add dechorinated water. All the bacteria you need is in the filter media so you should never clean this (or clean it all at once. I have to clean mine because I had too much planaria)
*I'm getting ahead of myself here

Your Ollie is a royal blue crowntail. And Flake is a red crowntail. (I think)
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=29868
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #13 
prosthetik

Oh ok, thanks :) Whats a good way [products etc] to clean the tank without having to move it from my bedroom, cause its too heavy to lift.

The more people explain to me the dumber I feel lol.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:14 AM   #14 
Laki

You can fill a bucket with the water. You won't need to take the whole tank out to clean since you shouldn't clean it all with the cycle happening. I use an old wastepaper basket that holds water.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 AM   #15 
prosthetik

Yeah Im gonna go buy a couple of buckets tomorrow. My boyfriend uses some little hand pump hose thing on his fish tanks which he said might work for me too so I'll give that a go.

Thanks for being super helpful though! Just hope Im doing all the right things to make them last as long as possible.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #16 
Laki

Those handpump vacuums are good too because it will clean poop out of the gravel :)
Your most welcome!! I remember being new to this last year or year before and using up the help offered on this site! lol my pleasure to help others ^-^
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 AM   #17 
prosthetik

Im just worried the filter isnt strong enough now - thats really my only concern.

I had to block the bit where it it flows out into the water [idk what its called lol] because even with it set to the lowest flow, he was still getting blown around the tank and was having a hard time swimming anywhere. Since I've blocked it a bit, theres only an area up the back of the tank that he needs to "push through" I guess.

Thats ok isnt it, or should I have left it as it was?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #18 
Blue Fish

From what I understand, your filter flow should (ideally) be next to nothing. You can alleviate the flow by baffling the filter with sponges (just rubberband them to the filter out-put and let them dangle down into the water), that seems to work well for many people. :)
The additional sponges also help with keeping the tank cycled, as the more sponge area there is, the more good bacteria there is. :)

Hope that helps, and your boys are cute!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #19 
prosthetik

Thanks!
I have s bit of plastic plant in most of the hole at the moment, only because all the shops were shut & I didnt know what to do.
I only set the tank up yesterday but the water is cloudy now, is that normal because of the new filter, etc? I was going to change the water tomorrow but Im worried it might be something to do with the filter so I turned it off just in case.

Not the best pics but it gives you an idea;