Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #1 
rosy delta

fluorescent bulbs for incandescent lamps

Does anyone know where to purchase a CFL lamp to replace the standard 15 watt tubular incandescent bulbs that come with so many tank covers?? I did find it at walmart.com, but they were out of stock. then i found it on amazon, but again, out of stock, and i'm not even totally sure those would have worked. I really hate incandescent and would love to replace with CFL's
rosy delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmmm...like the regular bulbs...? do you have plants? If no, IKEA has a rang of bulbs with different screw bases
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #3 
rosy delta

i'll look into it. Thanks
Old 09-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

Walmart... by the fish stuff. Little fluorescent screw in bulbs designed specifically to replace the 15 watt long-tube bulbs.

they're very bright, watch out for algae.

LFS/Petco/Petsupermarket... Coralife bulbs. I try not to use these in regular hoods but the small ones work great in my hex-5 tanks.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #5 
rosy delta

My Walmart does not have them. in fact i tried to order them, site to store and after they took my order, they said they were out of stock. same problem with amazon. Can you tell me the name and other info on the ones in your Walmart so i can search for them online? Thanks so much!!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

I can ship you one for about $6...
it's the standard screw in light bulb right? the one that is used in normal household lighting...?

actually nevermind... I just saw the tubilar incandecence part.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #7 
TheDragon

Rosy, look where they have light bulbs, they should have all kinds of CFL bulbs. If you have plants buy the daylight CFLs and on the back there should be a K rating buy the ones that have 5000 to 6500K. If they are out then I would suggest Home Depot or Menard's
TheDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #8 
athenr3134

walmart should have a section for tank lights and should be labeled small medium large or whatever. if you go in the bulb section you won't find the right size i did that by mistake and almost brought home the wrong size. hope this helps
athenr3134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #9 
rosy delta

Thanks everyone! Maybe i will try a walmart, or home depot in the city. the ones close to me are smaller and do not carry everything. (and if i am smart i will bring a bulb with me to make sure the base is the same size) Will let you know if i ever find one!!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #10 
rosy delta

Success! Petsmart carries 2 different types of bulbs. I bought one of each. both work great, but i like the marineland version best. the other is a white/blue bulb which changes the color of the fish. Thanks for all your input!!