Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #1 
prosthetik

Exclamation New tank/filter issues?!

I got a new tank for Ollie, my little blue CT, yesterday. 4.5 gallon with filter. Its only been about 25 hours, & I had to baffle the filter because it was far too strong, even on its lowest flow setting, but its so cloudy right now.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it just a new filter & I need to change the water to get it cycling properly?

Thats the filter in the corner, its the one the tank came with. All the gravel & ornaments were sanitized in hot water before the rest of the water was put in.

I've taken any left over food out. My boyfriend and I tried a ph test earlier, was 7.8 so we put ph down stuff in it, it went down to about 7.5, but yeah.

Im new to this so not 100% sure what Im doing right/wrong.
prosthetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #2 
madyotto

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosthetik View Post
I got a new tank for Ollie, my little blue CT, yesterday. 4.5 gallon with filter. Its only been about 25 hours, & I had to baffle the filter because it was far too strong, even on its lowest flow setting, but its so cloudy right now.

What am I doing wrong? Or is it just a new filter & I need to change the water to get it cycling properly?

Thats the filter in the corner, its the one the tank came with. All the gravel & ornaments were sanitized in hot water before the rest of the water was put in.

I've taken any left over food out. My boyfriend and I tried a ph test earlier, was 7.8 so we put ph down stuff in it, it went down to about 7.5, but yeah.

Im new to this so not 100% sure what Im doing right/wrong.
first thing first it is far better to use the PH down after adding fish
using tap water in a tanks first start in life is always the best way as there is a lot more chance that when you add fish from your LFS (local fish store) the waters PH levels will be a closer match of coarse you could always ask your LFS for there water parameters and then use the PH down if it will bring your water nearer to there's

the bigger the change in the PH when you add fish the more stress it will cause them
madyotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #3 
prosthetik

Yeah I added the ph down today after I noticed it getting cloudy. It hasnt gotten any better in the few hours since I posted this.
Should a do a full water change or only half? Or look into a different type of filter?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #4 
madyotto

Quote:
Yeah I added the ph down today after I noticed it getting cloudy. It hasnt gotten any better in the few hours since I posted this.
Should a do a full water change or only half? Or look into a different type of filter?
change about 35-40% on day one on day two do a 20% and on day three 15% and then as often as you would normaly and see what happens

EDIT !!
also it looks like the bottom section splits into 3 try take 2 off and see if it is any less powerful

Last edited by madyotto; 10-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #5 
prosthetik

Ok thanks! I'll give it all a try.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

just to let you know, BETTAS CAN LIVE IN HIGH PHs! My betta lives in 8.4 and ive had him for almost 2 yrs. The less chemicals you add, the better and easier it is on you and the fish.

It is also better to cycle before you add the fish. Your tank may take 4-8 weeks to cycle, but when you do get it cycled, it wont be that stable because of your tank size. The cloudiness may be caused by a bacterial bloom.

Good luck!

Remember, frequent,frequent,frequent water changes! ATLEAST 3 times per week, otherwise deadly ammonia and nitrites could buid up because there is no bacteria to break the ammonia down.

Last edited by MyRainbowBettaFish; 10-07-2012 at 08:09 PM.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 PM   #7 
prosthetik

Well I got a new filter today which has a really good, slow flow to it, & I changed about 90% of the water, its still cloudy, not as bad as before. Its Monday afternoon here now & I get a 2nd tank for my other Betta on Thursday so I dont know wether to change the water again then or do it Wednesday?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #8 
madyotto

Quote:
Well I got a new filter today which has a really good, slow flow to it, & I changed about 90% of the water, its still cloudy, not as bad as before. Its Monday afternoon here now & I get a 2nd tank for my other Betta on Thursday so I dont know wether to change the water again then or do it Wednesday?
what i do is set a amount of days then stick to it but on logical terms changing 25-30% each time

so say i set every other day (because its a small tank) starting Monday i may not be able to do it Wednesday i would do it Thursday but do a 50% change instead of a 25-30% and then aim to do it saturday

Last edited by madyotto; 10-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #9 
clopez1

Could just be new tank syndrome..It will be cloudy a few days then clear up..Bacteria bloom, Keep up the water changes and it'll be fine.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #10 
prosthetik

Yeah Im going to do a water change tomorrow when I get the new tank for my other betta, so then I can kinda get into a routine of cleaning them both on the same days.

But he seems to be doing ok with the new filter I got him, water is still a bit cloudy, but he swims around, eats & has finally blew his first bubble nest so Im happy for now :)