Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #181 
snazy

Why are people making a point of betta's living in a mud puddle although any information points out this happens mostly when the rice paddies, swamps or shallow ponds dry out during the dry season. So no matter whether you originally lived in a paddy field, swamp, shallow pond, river, lake, etc..., you may end up in a mud puddle anyhow if it gets too hot too fast and fish get stranded in a mud puddle or such. Bettas have adapted to that climate and can survive the dry season in such a small, low oxygen space, with lack of food, etc...But many die during this period.
I've read that outside the dry season bettas may claim teritory for themselves even up to a square meter each which compared to a 1G bowl is laughable and there are studies published by betta reasearchers suggesting that keeping them in 20G, well planted tank, with driftwood, good filtration, etc.. is best.
Sometimes people just don't acclimate the fish properly as well when moving them from a bowl to a bigger tank, or the tank is bare with not too much plants or decoration to hide, with aggressive tank mates they had no clue they are incompatible with, and then they keep posting how their betta freaked out from the big space and is happier in a bowl. If I was locked in a basement for a good while, I'd be stressed of course on the first glimpse of a bigger world too.
There are so many stories of bettas getting stressed to the point of biting their own tails in small unfiltered bowls with little or no decoration and still survive for a good while to call it: "they did ok"

Also, why do you think they have adapted to jump from water to water? Why would they do that if they like their small mud puddle?

Also, you can't put all bettas in the same group. For example betta taeniata's natural habitat is the upper parts of fast flowing rivers, looking for food in the shallow areas. It looks like this:

snazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #182 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorP View Post
Definitely not true. That's just your opinion.
I meant bigger as in a tank were they can excerise. How many Bettas live 10 years in bowls. A fish with proper excerise I meant they live longer in big spaces like over 2.5 because the leading killer of Bettas is not their they can excerse.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #183 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snazy View Post
Why are people making a point of betta's living in a mud puddle although any information points out this happens mostly when the rice paddies, swamps or shallow ponds dry out during the dry season. So no matter whether you originally lived in a paddy field, swamp, shallow pond, river, lake, etc..., you may end up in a mud puddle anyhow if it gets too hot too fast and fish get stranded in a mud puddle or such. Bettas have adapted to that climate and can survive the dry season in such a small, low oxygen space, with lack of food, etc...But many die during this period.
I've read that outside the dry season bettas may claim teritory for themselves even up to a square meter each which compared to a 1G bowl is laughable and there are studies published by betta reasearchers suggesting that keeping them in 20G, well planted tank, with driftwood, good filtration, etc.. is best.
Sometimes people just don't acclimate the fish properly as well when moving them from a bowl to a bigger tank, or the tank is bare with not too much plants or decoration to hide, with aggressive tank mates they had no clue they are incompatible with, and then they keep posting how their betta freaked out from the big space and is happier in a bowl. If I was locked in a basement for a good while, I'd be stressed of course on the first glimpse of a bigger world too.
There are so many stories of bettas getting stressed to the point of biting their own tails in small unfiltered bowls with little or no decoration and still survive for a good while to call it: "they did ok"

Also, why do you think they have adapted to jump from water to water? Why would they do that if they like their small mud puddle?

Also, you can't put all bettas in the same group. For example betta taeniata's natural habitat is the upper parts of fast flowing rivers, looking for food in the shallow areas. It looks like this:

Rats I have to get a twenty gallon as soon as possible my 10 gallon is too small so sorry carter. I am being serois. A betta in a .5 will not out live a betta in a 10 gallon no matter how many water changesthe number one killer of Bettas is diseases related to lack of excerise.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #184 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Also remember Bettas need 5 gallon minimum.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #185 
jag14

A lot of discussion about minimum tank size. Is my 3 gallon setup ok? It will have a filter soon. I change a gallon of water once a week and supply plants and an ornament for hiding in. He seems happy in there, active and greeting me everytime I'm at the desk. Of course, some of that may just be that he sees me as his food source. I do believe these small fish can have just as much personality as a cichlid, but much easier to keep.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #186 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag14 View Post
A lot of discussion about minimum tank size. Is my 3 gallon setup ok? It will have a filter soon. I change a gallon of water once a week and supply plants and an ornament for hiding in. He seems happy in there, active and greeting me everytime I'm at the desk. Of course, some of that may just be that he sees me as his food source. I do believe these small fish can have just as much personality as a cichlid, but much easier to keep.
A 5 gallon is not ideal but sounds like your set up is great remember bettas need hiding spots.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 AM   #187 
jag14

Thanks, I'm just glad I found this site. I want to do right by my little guy. The larger setup was definitely the right move, his color is so much prettier now than in the little pet store cups. He is content to hide within the plants or his ornament, so I guess his is a happy little world.
jag14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #188 
cheynan

Yeah they can! I've seen that and it blew my mind!!!
cheynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #189 
Sivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
Also remember Bettas need 5 gallon minimum.
This is false, Chocolate. This is your opinion only and has no real support to it. A 1 gallon is the absolute minimum to cover the needs of the fish but a 5 gallon is a preferred size that produces many benefits.

The reason behind a 1 gallon being minimum is simple First, you have to look at the needs of the animal. Betta fish need the following in a living environment: tropical temperature range water from 76 to 86 degrees with 78-82 degrees being ideal, water that is clean of naturally occurring toxins, exercise room, and surface air space.

A 1 gallon is the minimum because all of the above can be obtained on a normal person's schedule. 1 gallon is the smallest standard volume that can maintain a proper temperature without large fluctuations that can harm a betta fish's health, it is the smallest standard volume that does not overpopulate with toxins such as ammonia to fast to be dealt with, it provides the minimal room for decent exercise, and with the proper shape a 1 gallon tank will provide proper surface air.

While bigger is better and studies have shown that betta fish living in larger environments have longer lifespans (though many factors may contribute to this), a fish with a dedicated owner can live just as high a quality of life in a 1 gallon.

After all, a properly kept 1 gallon is better than an ignored 5 gallon.

EDIT:: Also, can you provide proof that the "number one killer of bettas is diseases" related to a lack of exercise? It has been widely recognized that the number one killer of betta fish is ammonia. Lack of room to swim may not be goof but it has not caused any disease as far as I can recall off the top of my head.

Last edited by Sivan; 10-16-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #190 
snazy

Quote:
In all my tanks I change 50% water a week and all have filters(not all betta tanks) If you really want to know whether a 3g bowl with no filter and only 1G water changed a week, buy a liquid test kit for ammonia and nitrItes. Test the water before water change, if any of them is not 0, then the fish is living in a toxic enviroment that will lead to disease and death early or later. Lucky for betta keepers the poor bettas withstand months of suffer before they finally give in. Even if you get a filter, it will take anything between 4 to 8 weeks for it to cycle(convert ammonia and nitrItes to non-toxic nitrAtes which in turn is lowered by weekly water changes). And you need a heater too because they need not only higher but stable temperature which only a heater can provide. In 3G tank you can barely put all this stuff inside. So 3G can work, but is very small and even if cycled, it tends to be unstable because the water temperature and conditons can change too fast for the fish to cope with.
snazy is offline   Reply With Quote