Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2012, 02:36 PM   #11 
kfryman

Usually you need to handfeed them as most bettas will steal their food because they are little piggies.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #12 
Gale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
You could have 6 pygmys.
I know they do better in bigger numbers, but I'd also like to give them plenty of space. Pros and Cons either way. Hmmm...
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #13 
Gale

So, I discovered a vendor that sells dwarf corys, and its maybe a 30 minute drive away. https://www.azgardens.com/default.aspx

Unfortunately they are mail order only. $35 min purchase with $25 shipping. Ugh! Wish I could just go knock on their door.

Guess I'll just have to make some calls to pet stores across town when the time comes.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #14 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
Unfortunately they are mail order only.
is there a phone number? Call them and see if they won't mind you picking them up and save yourself $35.

hey, that's a cool store!

Last edited by registereduser; 09-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #15 
Gale

There are a couple of numbers and a fax line (people still use those??).

They seem quite adamant about the mail order deal on their site, but I will give them a call nonetheless when I'm ready to stock some more. It never hurts to ask.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #16 
Gale

Update: A great local freshwater specialty store got a shipment of pygmy cories in early, and I picked up a small school of 6 on Friday.

They are doing excellent so far. Most went right to work in vacuum mode within a minute of releasing them into the tank, and my Betta hasn't been aggressive at all, other than a short chase through the tank with one pygmy when they were first introduced. After learning how quick they are, he pretty much ignores them and shows no signs of stress.

Really cool little fish. Very lively, active and playful. The owner of the LFS said I could put more in easily with my tank setup, but I'd rather them have more space and filtration than they need than not enough.

I also picked up a black mystery snail a couple weeks ago, which I plan on moving to another tank soon. Betta was curious and nipped at it a couple of times after first introduction. I was ready to remove and return the snail but he got over it quickly. Now he does nothing more than play with her algae discs from time to time

Water parameters are great and I've had no issues so far. Thanks for the tips everyone :)