Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #11 
Gale

I haven't tried any cucumber yet, but my betta also loves to go after algae discs. He doesn't actually consume them, but he bites and tosses the disc around, spitting out anything he gets in his mouth. Seems like he is just playing more than anything else, or intimidating.

He doesn't do it with Rapashy Community Plus though, and my snail loves that stuff.

Also, your snail might be going for calcium deposits on your tank that are very difficult to see. I see mine going to the top to clean glass above the water level where it's more concentrated. Calcium is important in a snail's diet, which is why im told zuccini is the best fresh vegetable for them.
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #12 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale View Post
I haven't tried any cucumber yet, but my betta also loves to go after algae discs. He doesn't actually consume them, but he bites and tosses the disc around, spitting out anything he gets in his mouth. Seems like he is just playing more than anything else, or intimidating.

He doesn't do it with Rapashy Community Plus though, and my snail loves that stuff.

Also, your snail might be going for calcium deposits on your tank that are very difficult to see. I see mine going to the top to clean glass above the water level where it's more concentrated. Calcium is important in a snail's diet, which is why im told zuccini is the best fresh vegetable for them.
Is there calcium pellets to help them mantain their shell? Also, how often does one feed the waffer to a single snail?

I have to put him a seperate container during feeding time, mostly 2-3 hours (is this time enough?) before going to sleep, so far i'm giving him 1/4 algae wafer per day. Then I just llet him nomnomnom on the tank's glass lol.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #13 
Gale

I'm not sure about calcium tablets, but you can just find omnivore food that has a good amount of calcium in it to keep the snail in good health. The Rapashy gel mix I got is a great choice. You basically make it like jello, and keep it in your fridge for up to 2 weeks, spooning or cutting out little bits to put in the tank, which will last a day.

I would drop a full algae disc in twice a day for my snail, which she grazes on throughout the day. Unlike Betta's, they know when to stop eating and save the rest for later.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:53 AM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

uhhh... if ur betta eats the cucumber... I doubt he'll ignore the algae wafer. lolol!
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #15 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
uhhh... if ur betta eats the cucumber... I doubt he'll ignore the algae wafer. lolol!
he doesn't he's an a--- he "guards" the food and plays with it, nips the snail away, gotta feed the snail in a seperate container.

>_>

Poor Gary XD, well I guess i should feed him twice a day or once a day?

I give him these algae wafers with algae and veggie protein, also have betta flakes (that my betta HATES with a passion, he's like "pellets for the win!") which are similar to the fish food that they let the snails eat in the pet store.

I hear blanched veggies like cucumber, zuchini is good for calcium.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:57 AM   #16 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
he doesn't he's an a--- he "guards" the food and plays with it, nips the snail away, gotta feed the snail in a seperate container.

>_>

Poor Gary XD, well I guess i should feed him twice a day or once a day?

I give him these algae wafers with algae and veggie protein, also have betta flakes (that my betta HATES with a passion, he's like "pellets for the win!") which are similar to the fish food that they let the snails eat in the pet store.

I hear blanched veggies like cucumber, zuchini is good for calcium.
iron lol
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #17 
asukabetta

Quote:
iron lol
lol then-- what gives calcium >_< dam i wish snails could just drink milk and save me the trouble lol
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #18 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
lol then-- what gives calcium >_< dam i wish snails could just drink milk and save me the trouble lol

A tiny bit of cuttlefish should be enough... it's better if you have harder water. but that wouldnt be optimal for the betta.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #19 
asukabetta

Quote:
A tiny bit of cuttlefish should be enough... it's better if you have harder water. but that wouldnt be optimal for the betta.
yeah figured as much, well, I'll see what I can do XD thanks for the help
Old 10-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #20 
Gale

Yeah, after doing a little research of my own, I can see that the zuccini bit is wrong.

I wonder if they would enjoy spinach, collard greens or kelp?