betta fish

Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #1 
eaturbyfill

Unexplained mass in between ventral fins and possible tail rot/biting

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Surface agitation from filter
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? It is a divided tank with one other male.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets, blood worms as a treat once or twice a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 35%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: normal
Nitrite: normal
Nitrate: normal
pH: neutral
Hardness: soft

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Damaged tail, odd mass between ventrals
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not at all. He is still flaring at me when I surprise him and eating normally.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only a tail split, which was likely caused by decor and healed up quickly.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 - 1 1/2

This is a picture of my boy, Remus, when he is perfectly healthy except for a tail injury, which healed completely up recently. Other than the split, that is his natural, healthy appearance.

I'll get a picture of what he looks like right now if I can and post it later. The camera has bad quality.

He looks normal, except for 2 things. He has two small missing chunks in his tail. I can't tell if it is tail rot or if he bit it. We've had him for months with no problem. I noticed it yesterday, and it was not there the day before. I don't think it has gotten worse today, but it is hard to tell because the damage is still exclusive to that spot.

He has something else that I have never seen before. Upon inspecting him today, I saw that, when he swam fast enough for his ventrals to go all the way against his body, that there was something ORANGE hanging down in between them it looks like.. What the heck?? What's going on?
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #2 
LittleFish2012

It's tough to say without a good picture...
The pieces of his tail missing are likely due to him nipping at it. It can be a range of reasons. The fish could be stressed, bored, or hungry (which I doubt). I've also heard stories of fish chewing their fins because they are so long, they are perceived as another fish.
If his fins are looking dark, shriveled-ish, and brittle where they are chewed/torn, then it may be fin rot. I really don't think it is fin rot if the water is like you've listed. Fin rot doesn't usually happen in clean water.

As for the orange thing... What color is your food? That sounds like fecal matter to me, but again I can't be sure.

Something random that made me smile is that your fish Remus could pass as a sibling for my fish Adrian. :)
LittleFish2012 is offline   Reply With Quote