Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #1 
914joe

Question Need some advice on fin rot

My little Delta tail was being housed in a 1.5 gallon jug and he got fin rot from fluctuating temps last month.I was told by OLF lady to try salt and IAL,i treated him only with salt at the time as i had no IAL. My question is this ,my 5.5 gallon tank finally cycled ,and he is in there now with a brand new 25 watt Ehiem heater and IAL the water is nice tea color ,since he is in the new cycled tank with nice stable temp and IAL will that be enough for him to heal and grow back his fins, or will i need to use meds. here are a couple of pics ,does he look okay,should i wait a week and see if there is any growth or should go ahead and use med's.
Attached Images

914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #2 
babystarz

No meds needed at this point, the IAL and clean water should be enough to get rid of that last bit of rot and get his fins healthy enough to start growing again. If the rot progresses despite what you're doing, let us know.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #3 
914joe

Thanks i will wait for now as you sugsested ,i read OFL excellent post on water changes and it says 1 50% once a week for a filtered 5 gallon ,do you think i should do 2 a week for now until he heals a little,or is 1 enough,also do the IAL need to be replaced after a certain amount of time,they were floating on top when i first put them in a few days ago now they sunk to the bottom of the tank.
914joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #4 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 914joe View Post
Thanks i will wait for now as you sugsested ,i read OFL excellent post on water changes and it says 1 50% once a week for a filtered 5 gallon ,do you think i should do 2 a week for now until he heals a little,or is 1 enough,also do the IAL need to be replaced after a certain amount of time,they were floating on top when i first put them in a few days ago now they sunk to the bottom of the tank.
I would do two water changes a week for now, yes, just to ensure it's nice and clean in there to encourage healing. The IAL should be replaced when it starts to disintegrate, usually about 2 weeks after being placed in the tank.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote