Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #1 
Friendlyfishies

Strange behaviors...

So I keep testing my water params

I have 0 ammonia that appears to be climbing and is maybe half way to 0.25...I need to keep it under 0.25 right? But I am trying to cycle tanks so wouldnt I want a touch of ammonia in the tanks?

I also have 8.0 - 8.2 high range PH

0 Nitrite and nitrate

My boys are relatively healthy asside from No Nen having some fin rot. Normally Pho Phan is very active dancing around in front of his glass and floating around in the top corner of his tank...today hes hanging out on the bottom in the corners. I added IAL's to the tanks yesterday and he was fine before this, so I took some of the IAL's out and he seemed to like that...he came out and about for a bit but now hes back into hiding...I am a bit concerned :/ My water perams dont send me any red flags! Do you think it could have something to do with the leaves or is it maybe a prelude to something more? He has a lot of fin damage but it doesnt seem to be rot...just lots of rips and tears from swimming and activity. There are no other physical signs of anything other than the bottom dwelling. Should I change his water even tho the water tests show no signs of anything serious?
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #2 
asukabetta

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
So I keep testing my water params

I have 0 ammonia that appears to be climbing and is maybe half way to 0.25...I need to keep it under 0.25 right? But I am trying to cycle tanks so wouldnt I want a touch of ammonia in the tanks?

I also have 8.0 - 8.2 high range PH

0 Nitrite and nitrate

My boys are relatively healthy asside from No Nen having some fin rot. Normally Pho Phan is very active dancing around in front of his glass and floating around in the top corner of his tank...today hes hanging out on the bottom in the corners. I added IAL's to the tanks yesterday and he was fine before this, so I took some of the IAL's out and he seemed to like that...he came out and about for a bit but now hes back into hiding...I am a bit concerned :/ My water perams dont send me any red flags! Do you think it could have something to do with the leaves or is it maybe a prelude to something more? He has a lot of fin damage but it doesnt seem to be rot...just lots of rips and tears from swimming and activity. There are no other physical signs of anything other than the bottom dwelling. Should I change his water even tho the water tests show no signs of anything serious?
The PH looks high, some recommend 7-8 ph, others 6,8-7,5. PH 7 is neutral which is the most ideal for most tropical fish.

"How? The better test kits come with two bottles, one called PH up and one called PH down. You add drops from the PH down bottle to bring a high PH down (I add 10 drops per 2 1/2 gal of water) or add PH up to bring up a low PH"

http://www.bettatalk.com/water.htm

I do not know however if it is the cause of it's behaviour.

If it is not fin rot, it could be tail bitting, if the fin damage is like "U" or "V" shaped keep an eye on your betta to see if it gets caught in the act, tail bitting could be because of lack of space, how big is your tank? Or it could be stress from the ph?

If the fin looks teared
, it could be ornaments in your tank harming the fish, check for sharp objects, run a thin stocking against them, if it tears, it will most likely harm your betta's fins.

Plastic plants aren't as recommended as silk or live ones.

Keep the water clean, warm between 75-80 F, cold water causes lethargy and eventually death. If you have a filter make sure it's gentle and hardly moves the water, bettas dont like current and some filters can harm their fins

Also I do not know what IAL is. So i dunno what you are putting in your tank. As for cycling there is a guide for that here:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=111960

Some medicine are very strong and easy to overdose, I would avoid it's use unless its absolutely necessary, usually for fin rot, clean water and some AQ salt is enough without resorting to chemicals unless its very advanced.

Last edited by asukabetta; 10-08-2012 at 10:40 AM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #3 
Friendlyfishies

Very informative asukabetta! I will get some PH down this week asap...my other tank reads 8.0 but had a more recent water change, 8.2 is the highest ive seen yet. He had the tail issues since about 2 weeks after I got him...seems to have started from an over abundance of flaring and now im thinking filter movement...ive also caught him hanging out infront of the intake (its an evolve 4 tank, the out take is very strong but I cover the nosel with large sponge to slow it down, and I covered the intake with craft mesh so his fins didnt get sucked in). Their temp is also the lowest today than its been, they each have a betta heater which normally keeps the temps at 80 but today it is reading 78. They also have anubias and java fern. I did a water change and he seems to be much more active now, still breaking in the corner for long periods but deffinitely much more active than he was this AM...I just thought it was so strange that he was under the weather and my ammonia wasnt up? Perhaps the tests arent that accurate and there was more ammonia than what it was showing? Can that happen?

Anyone know if some bettas dont like or do well with IAL leaves?

* IAL leaves - Indian Almond Leaves, they are supposed to have lots of possitive effects on betta's and aid in immunity and healing. I just learned about them and ordered from a very reputable seller. My other 3 bettas are in bliss with them in their tank, but Pho Phan didnt seem to take to them as well since hes only had these issues since I added them.

The tank is much smaller than his old tank. He was in a 6.6 gal but it was a pain to keep clean so I switched him to an evolve 4 like his other buddies. I like the tanks but its about 2.5-3 gallons of actual swimming space.

Anywho I guess now that hes feeling better since his water change...do you think the API test kits are inacurate? Im really thinking their was an ammonia issue even though it didnt show it? Anyone have issues with this? Anyone have negative issues with IAL leaves? Just trying to figure it out so problems dont get worse or happen agian.

Thanks!
Friendlyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 
lvandert

For lowering pH I wouldn't use the chemicals, go with IAL. All bettas like IAL, its a native leaf for them and they love the darkened water
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #5 
asukabetta

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlyfishies View Post
Very informative asukabetta! I will get some PH down this week asap...my other tank reads 8.0 but had a more recent water change, 8.2 is the highest ive seen yet. He had the tail issues since about 2 weeks after I got him...seems to have started from an over abundance of flaring and now im thinking filter movement...ive also caught him hanging out infront of the intake (its an evolve 4 tank, the out take is very strong but I cover the nosel with large sponge to slow it down, and I covered the intake with craft mesh so his fins didnt get sucked in). Their temp is also the lowest today than its been, they each have a betta heater which normally keeps the temps at 80 but today it is reading 78. They also have anubias and java fern. I did a water change and he seems to be much more active now, still breaking in the corner for long periods but deffinitely much more active than he was this AM...I just thought it was so strange that he was under the weather and my ammonia wasnt up? Perhaps the tests arent that accurate and there was more ammonia than what it was showing? Can that happen?

Anyone know if some bettas dont like or do well with IAL leaves?

* IAL leaves - Indian Almond Leaves, they are supposed to have lots of possitive effects on betta's and aid in immunity and healing. I just learned about them and ordered from a very reputable seller. My other 3 bettas are in bliss with them in their tank, but Pho Phan didnt seem to take to them as well since hes only had these issues since I added them.

The tank is much smaller than his old tank. He was in a 6.6 gal but it was a pain to keep clean so I switched him to an evolve 4 like his other buddies. I like the tanks but its about 2.5-3 gallons of actual swimming space.

Anywho I guess now that hes feeling better since his water change...do you think the API test kits are inacurate? Im really thinking their was an ammonia issue even though it didnt show it? Anyone have issues with this? Anyone have negative issues with IAL leaves? Just trying to figure it out so problems dont get worse or happen agian.

Thanks!
you can always try getting a diff ph test kit if you are unsure that your brand test kit works.

As for the indian almond leaf, i wanna get one, XD I just research them and would help tons!
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote