betta fish

Old 09-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #41 
toad

Hooray! I got my heaters :)
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #42 
toad

Flora from Afar

My plants arrived today from Singapore! So exciting I was scared that they would be confiscated by customs, but they arrived in beautiful condition, and earlier than I expected!

So, I was having a great day until my roommate informed me that no one will flirt with me because I seem mean and nasty, and always look angry Really?! She's probably right - but I always thought that I seemed nice and friendly The rest of my family looks angry all the time, so I wouldn't doubt that I look that way, but in fact I am very rarely angry. When I do get angry, it's very brief and usually a result of a customer being extremely nasty to me (which doesn't happen all that often).

I went back to Petco (it's a sickness, I know) under the pretense of getting dechlorinator, because I didn't have enough to do water changes on Sunday; but really what I was doing was scoping out A) the bettas (and I found a gorgeous one, but didn't bring him home as I have nothing to put him in), B) the plants, and C) the mopani. The Universe, it seems, had placed a piece of mopani on the shelf just for me - it is long and skinny, but has a fat base, so it stands on end. PERFECT for Percy's cylindrical tank! His home had been looking a little (a lot!) dull, so I did some work on it:

Before:

And after:

I think if I find a tank tomorrow at the community yard sale for a good price, I'm going to go back for that little fish I saw today - he's a veiltale, and a light lilac color with purple iridescent fins. He's gorgeous, and looks like none of my guys (not that it matters lol). Of course, almost every fish I bring home changes color after, so who knows...

Last edited by toad; 09-21-2012 at 08:10 PM. Reason: afterthoughts, of course.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #43 
toad

Why, Universe? :'(

I was having a really good day; no work, and spent time actually having fun with my roommate. However, this evening, when I went in my bedroom to check on Delilah, I found her tiny lifeless body in the sand. I am pretty heartbroken; my room doesn't feel the same without her dancing around on my bureau. I wrapped her little body in a napkin and buried her under the hostas outside my window, and then I took her tank apart to clean it.

Sort of feeling guilty that I'm dismantling her home and preparing it for someone else, since she only just passed But, on the other hand, NOT cleaning it or letting someone else live in it isn't going to help Delilah out any, so I think tomorrow, I will go to Petco and see who wants to come home with me.

I don't know why Delilah died - she was perfectly fine up until a day or two ago, when I noticed her clamping and sitting on the bottom a lot. But, her color was bright and she was eating, so I thought she'd be okay. She had no symptoms - no pineconing, no bloat, no discoloration, no damaged scales, etc. I miss her terribly already.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #44 
toad

Right, what was that I was saying about saving money?

...Oh yeah. ~Not spending any more money~Not spending any more money~Not spending any more money~

Now if I can just stick with that, I'll be all set...
Old 09-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #45 
jeremywadejunior

So sorry about Delilah! But she truly had a good owner and home.
jeremywadejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #46 
toad

Thank you for the kind words, Jeremy; I really appreciate it.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #47 
toad

A blah kind of day

Today has been a very ~blah~ kind of day around here. I was working all day, which would be fine, but the district managers were there critiquing our every move, which had everyone on edge.

When I got home, I nearly had a heart attack because Atlas was laying on the wisteria and seemed to be floating on his side. He's fine, but after finding a second platy dead last night, I'm a little paranoid about everyone.

One of my co-workers recently introduced me to a boy that I was starting to really like, but I can tell that we'd never work out. I'm more disappointed about it than I thought I would be. He's a nice person, and we can probably be friends, but he's not that into me and even if he was, we're not a good match. Since I can't take rejection, I think I'm a little put out by the fact that he's not interested Something I need to get over, I know.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #48 
toad

Confections and the Sweet things in Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...PrTzLaLHc&NR=1

I need to learn to make smaller apple pies; as I have no self control, I try not to bake for myself too often. Baking is the only thing I can do in the kitchen - can't cook to save my own life! But, when I bake things, I eat them all. Like the delectable apple pie I just polished off, all by myself ha ha.

The Universe has sent a friend back to me that I haven't talked to in quite a long while! It's funny that way, sometimes...

October is my favorite month, so I'm super excited for tomorrow: October 1st I think October has the best foliage and the prettiest skies, and it's so perfect for hiking! I can't wait to go hiking with my new friend Greg, and my Toad. It's gonna be so much fun!

All my swimmy kids are doing well (though I lost another neon last night), and Atlas has made his first bubble next I feel guilty about my cats, lately, though - they are outdoor cats, and always have been. I leave the garage open for them so they can go in there to sleep, but they really want to live inside and keep trying to follow me in Even if the dog wouldn't terrorize them, I'm not sure I could trust them not to hurt the rats I wish I lived in a bigger house so the cats could have part of it, and the dog and the rats could have the other part, and everyone would be happy.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #49 
toad

...Ferris has also built a giant bubble nest! I'm so excited :)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #50 
toad

I'm so disappointed today :(

My cousin and his girlfriend just moved here from Hawaii, and their dog had puppies (whoever watched the dog for them while they were moving left her outside alone >.< ). There are 5 pups in the litter, 2 girls and 3 boys, and today they are 5 days old. My roommate and I asked a few days ago to adopt the 2 girl pups and were told we could have them; we named them Amie and Luna.

However, now my cousin is telling my roommate that he promised my aunt she could have first pick of the litter, and that we can't have the girls. I know I shouldn't be so saddened over a 5 day old puppy, but I am :/ I think I'm even sadder for my roommate, as she has been driving my cousin and his girlfriend to work and everywhere else for a month, because their car hasn't arrived from Hawaii yet, and her feelings are very hurt that they promised her the pup and then took it back.

Otherwise, it was a good day. I had a short shift at work and when I came home I took my dog to the park :) I am thinking of taking him to doggy school, as he could use some more socialization and there's nowhere for me to take him around here. He was the star of the class when he went to Puppy School :)