Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #21 
LittleBettaFish

Very nice photo. One of the main sellers of wild bettas here in Australia had a rubra pair up for sale. They are beautiful fish and I was tempted.

Had any luck with breeding them or do you just have a female?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #22 
babystarz

Moar updates!

Got my two 20 long tanks. I toyed with the idea of picking up a bag of substrate at Petco that claimed to have "instant cycle" capabilities because it contained "live" bacteria. It was $20 a bag and I did set it into my cart. It promptly leaked over a cup of water into the tank underneath it. That was enough for me to regain my senses. I already have organic potting soil and silica sand that I spent $10 on, and they will cover 10X the space that this magical substrate will. I think I will go with the hardware store + seeded bacteria method to get the tanks cycled fast. If they're testing funny I will not add the fish, since I haven't done this method before.

I have been reading a lot about people putting peat moss in filter bags for the albimariginata... how essential is this? I have somewhat hard water with an initial pH of 8ish, it goes down to about 7 after an hour.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

Albis are much less fussier than a lot of other species of wild betta in regards to water quality. Same with channoides. They do prefer cooler water though so just be aware of that.

If your water has a relatively low KH you should be able to manipulate your pH a lot more easily using IALs and peat moss.

Otherwise your albimarginata won't mind if you can maintain it around 7-7.5. They don't need the extremely low pH of some of the other species.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #24 
LittleBettaFish

PERSEPHONE FRY UPDATED PICTURES!

Took these this morning. You can see how the blue/black is starting to show over the red on the bigger fry's anal fins. Have so many more than I thought now they are bigger. Can't wait until they are fully grown and I can start hopefully match making.

They are now solely on grindals, blackworms and whiteworms and the growth rate has jumped forward quite a lot.

Then this is the sole survivor of my tussyae fry. I am hoping it is female but I can never tell until they hit adult size. Even then I just guess. Would love to be able to keep a line of tussyae going.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:35 PM   #25 
PitGurl

My new smaragdina pair is doing great. They have been flirting with each other through the divider quite a bit. The female will go from stress stripes to breeding bars in a second. I was really surprised about how dark she gets when she bars up. I'm still waiting for the male to build a nest. I may put them in the spawn tank next week if the continue to do well and stay healthy.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah they can have very rapid colour changes depending on everything from tankmates, water conditions and lighting. It's why I think so many people discount wild bettas as they are usually very unimpressive looking in a lot of fish store tanks.

I've found a lot of the time my males will build nests right before spawning. However, I've never spawned smaragdina so they may be different. The male shouldn't try and kill the female like splendens if he isn't quite ready so if they look healthy and plump I would put them in together.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #27 
PitGurl

hybrids

A little test here . One of these fish is a hybrid. Can you guess which one?
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #28 
LittleBettaFish

I actually have very little experience with imbellis and that entire complex of bettas, but I would think if one of them is a hybrid, it would be the bottom one as he is much thicker through the body and just has a different look to him.

My imbellis females were always very slender and had a different body shape to my splendens.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #29 
PitGurl

One half of my smaragdina tank...
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #30 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
.... the bottom one as he is much thicker through the body and just has a different look to him.

My imbellis females were always very slender and had a different body shape to my splendens.
He looks like he was from a cross with one of those chunky fighter-plakats.

Your tank looks great, Pitgurl.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote