Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 
eaturbyfill

College Rant

Oh, I'm really aggravated. I emailed all of my professors to let them know that there is a possibility of me having to miss school because of my health. All of my actual professors responded with well wishes, telling me what a great student I am, and willingness to help me keep from falling behind if I were to need to miss for surgery or appointments. I have one class that is the basics of computers that meets once a week that is taught by a graduate student, not a professor. Now, he's moving me to the online section of the class without even asking!! I didn't even say I would have to miss, just that it was freakin' possible. That really bothers me. You couldn't ask first? Although, it is a good thing, because I won't have to see you again. You were very rude in your responses, and made the difference between you and real teachers clear!

Am I being unreasonable? Because it seems to me that I should have a choice in where I take my classes. In all of his emails he acted like it was just an inconvenience that I'm sick.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #2 
clopez1

Maybe he misunderstood what you wrote and assumed you will be missing classes instead of possibly missing classes? I do agree he should have given you options before making a decision for you.
clopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #3 
SnowySurface

I don't consider your reaction unreasonable. Unlike full teachers, Graduate teachers are juggling their own classes with teaching a class to meet all the requirements to graduate. Simply moving you to the online class lightened his load while making him look understanding and willing to help. In a way, it avoided a possible inconvience if you did miss a class and would want to meet with him after class to try and catch up.

I know it's easier for full teachers to have office hours since they aren't teaching inbetween taking classes, doing homework, and studying (and because they actually have an office XD), so maybe he saw it as avoiding a crash or something. But even if he was honestly trying to make it possible for you to follow the class without having to leave your potential sick bed, the choice was your's not his. : /
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #4 
eaturbyfill

I understand he's busy, but even in his position, I wouldn't have responded in the way he did. And I did say "if" quite a bit to make it clear. Oh well.

I don't want to see his face anyway.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 
babystarz

I think any time you feel bothered by something like this, it's best to take your concerns to your advisor. They're GREAT at coming up with solutions to issues involving students and instructors. If you want to take the class in person, you have every right to do it. No one can MAKE you take the online only class, that would be discriminating against you because of a chronic illness, which is illegal under the Americans With Disabilities Act.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote